Python for Windows

Larry Bates

mistral said:
I need compile code written in Python. I use Windows 98SE. Should I
download Python for Windows installer?
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi
Will the msi installer modify registry or other system files? Does it
possible install Python not touching registry and system files?

thanks.
The installer does make a few minor registry entries (what Windows
program doesn't). They are minor and have only to do with the program
being able to know where it is installed, etc.

You can't really "compile" Python code, it is an interpreted
language. You can use an extension called py2exe that packages up
python code with a .exe file and a couple of support files and
that package can be installed on a computer with minimal or no
registry or system file modifications.

-Larry Bates

Grant Edwards

hg

You can make your own installer to install Python, and make sure the
registry is not touched - I think the current installer modifies at
least the .py .pyw file association.

hg

mistral

hg пиÑал(а):
You can make your own installer to install Python, and make sure the
registry is not touched - I think the current installer modifies at
least the .py .pyw file association.

hg

--------------------
not sure how to make custom installer to install Python on windows. Is
there some ready one?
If msi installer modify just pair of keys, and not touch system files,
then OK. Have it uninstaller also?

mistral

Larry Bates

mistral said:
hg пиÑал(а):

--------------------
not sure how to make custom installer to install Python on windows. Is
there some ready one?
If msi installer modify just pair of keys, and not touch system files,
then OK. Have it uninstaller also?

mistral
If you really want to install Python on Windows, I would recommend that
you get ActiveState Python, it comes as .MSI installer and has
uninstaller.

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

It does minimal registry changes and I know of no system file changes
(but I could be wrong). If you want to put a program written in python
on a workstation you don't have to put python on it. Use py2exe to
package it and create an installer with Inno Setup.

-Larry

mistral

Larry Bates пиÑал(а):
If you really want to install Python on Windows, I would recommend that
you get ActiveState Python, it comes as .MSI installer and has
uninstaller.

It does minimal registry changes and I know of no system file changes
(but I could be wrong). If you want to put a program written in python
on a workstation you don't have to put python on it. Use py2exe to
package it and create an installer with Inno Setup.

ok, I just want run Python file, which will generate html file.

mistral

mistral

Larry Bates пиÑал(а):
If you really want to install Python on Windows, I would recommend that
you get ActiveState Python, it comes as .MSI installer and has
uninstaller.

It does minimal registry changes and I know of no system file changes
(but I could be wrong). If you want to put a program written in python
on a workstation you don't have to put python on it. Use py2exe to
package it and create an installer with Inno Setup.

ok, I just want run Python file, which will generate html file.

mistral

Larry Bates

mistral said:
Larry Bates пиÑал(а):

ok, I just want run Python file, which will generate html file.

mistral
py2exe removes the need to install python on a computer. It packages
up your program in a way so that it can be installed as basically a
stand-alone application. It will include the pythonxx.dll that is
needed, but not all the other support functions. Add Inno Setup
to bundle the py2exe files that are needed and you get a single
setup.exe file that can be run to install your application on the
computer WITHOUT installing python at all.

-Larry Bates