Python on the Power PC

Peter Milliken

Hi,

I (think I have :)) installed Python on my Pocket PC (obtained from
http://fore.validus.com/~kashtan/).

There were Tkinter binaries with it so I installed those as well. When I
attempt to run the most simplistic of python programs using Tkinter, I get
an error message stating that Python can't find any tkinter module.

Any ideas what I have done wrong anybody?

Thanks
Peter

import Tkinter

if __name__ == '__main__':
root = Tkinter.Tk()

root.title('Hello World?')

root.mainloop()

Fredrik Lundh

Peter said:
There were Tkinter binaries with it so I installed those as well. When I
attempt to run the most simplistic of python programs using Tkinter, I get
an error message stating that Python can't find any tkinter module.

Any ideas what I have done wrong anybody?

what does "import _tkinter" say ?

where is the _tkinter.so module (or whatever that's called on the pocket pc,
or power pc, or what it is you're using) installed ? what is sys.path set to ?

running

python -vv -c 'import _tkinter'

might provide you with additional clues.

</F>

Steve Holden

Peter said:
Hi,

I (think I have :)) installed Python on my Pocket PC (obtained from
http://fore.validus.com/~kashtan/).

There were Tkinter binaries with it so I installed those as well. When I
attempt to run the most simplistic of python programs using Tkinter, I get
an error message stating that Python can't find any tkinter module.

Any ideas what I have done wrong anybody?

Thanks
Peter

import Tkinter

if __name__ == '__main__':
root = Tkinter.Tk()

root.title('Hello World?')

root.mainloop()
Are you sure it didn't say "_tkinter" was what it couldn't find?

On my Windows system the Tkinter.py file tries to import an extension
(compiled C) module called _tkinter (provided as _tkinter.dll) that
provides the low-level Tkinter functionality. It's likely that that's
missing.

regards
Steve

Peter Milliken

Unfortunately I am completely new to using the Pocket PC - the Python error
message appear to come up in 2 "waves" or screens - the first screen
contains the error message re can't find tkinter and is only visible for a
fraction of a second (repeated running and trying to get the eyes to focus
on each bit of information is very difficult! :)) the second screen just
says

Traceback (inner most last):
<NULL> <NULL>

Unfortunately I can't work out any way to access the first screen to get the
exact message.

Also, I don't have any command line interface on the Pocket PC to follow
Fred's suggestion and run Python with command line arguments set. I seem to
be limited to just running a .py file from the File Explorer.

In the "Program Filess\Python\Lib" path there is a _tkinter file but it is a
..pyd not a .dll.

Peter

mhykes

I'm using the same distribution (or at least that is what I started
with). Try using the following sitecustomize.py file:

###### sitecustomize.py ######
import sys
syspath = sys.path
libpath = '\\Program Files\\Python\\Lib'
syspath.append(libpath+'\\lib-tk')
sys.path = none
sys.path = syspath
##############################

You will need to extract the python23.zip into \Program
Files\Python\Lib, then add the sitecustomize.py file to the same
directory. Then Python should be able to find the Tkinter module that
it is complaining about.

- Matt

Peter Milliken

Thanks for the reply Matt - you must have customised things though from the
distribution because this can't (and doesn't! :)) work i.e. I have
(already) placed the python23.zip into \Program Files\Python\Lib but there
is no lib-tk off that point (which is what I believe the .append instruction
does in the customize script).

In fact, looking at my Python24 installation on my PC, I can see a lib-tk
directory off c:\Python24\Lib - but there is no such directory on my Pocket
PC - can I just "copy" this directory directly onto my Pocket PC? <see
below!>

OK, copying the lib-tk directory over to my Pocket PC seems to make the file
work - thanks for the help! :)

Peter

Peter Milliken

Nope, spoke too soon! The Pocket PC seemed to be doing something and I
thought it was OK - obviously you can't just copy "lib-tk" into the Pocket
PC Python\Lib directory.

What else might I be missing?

Peter