Question on the Logging Application Block

cowznofsky

I'm using version 3.1.0.0.

I've created a web service project and am logging info to the Event
Log.

Originally I experimented with the Quick Start Logging App. Then I
copied some of the config file to my own project and tried getting it
to work.

In the <listeners> section there is a 'source' attribute, which seems
like it should take a user-defined string. But I find the only values
I can put in here are ones that I've already used in the Quick Start
App. Otherwise I see nothing in the Event Log.
So, the QS has "Logging Quick Start", so I can use that in my app.
I want to use "MyApp" for the source value, and I've only been able to
do this after I run the QS with that value in the config file.

So evidently the 'source' value has to be established in the Event
Log, and the QS app is doing this somehow, but I don't see it.

Any thoughts or clarifications?

[...]

Here is what I'm realizing:
1. I believe my web service did not have permissions to write to the
Event Log.
Problem was that the Write method did not throw an exception, so I got
confused.
I could just see that no entry was written.
2. The Quick Start program is a windows app, and had the permissions
to write to the Log.
3. Once the QS program wrote to the log with a specific value for
"source", evidently the permissions were ignored for any process that
wanted to write to the log using that same value, a bug/feature that
got me really confused.
4. In each case, the value for "user' in the log is "N/A", which
didn't help things either.