rails mysql db:migrate etc

Phlip

Rubies:

Examine this command line:

ruby /usr/local/bin/rake db:migrate --trace

First, a digression about the silly command line, before the actual
question:

I switched from Ubuntu to Mandriva because the former's Ruby was so broken.
Mandriva's is hardly better. When I install all the Ruby RPMs, they put Ruby
in /usr/local/bin/ruby . Then all the Ruby products, like Gems, screw up and
look for libraries in /usr/lib/ruby.

So when I completely uninstall Ruby, and completely build and install it
from source, it gets this --prefix issue backwards. Gems insists on
installing things to /usr/local.

I'm sure there's some command line fix, and I will acknowledge any help, but
the system is currently stable enough to ask the next question.

I have installed MySQL, from RPMs, and my config/database.yml looks a little
like this:

development:
adapter: mysql
database: tracks
host: 127.0.0.1
username: tracks
password: password

When I run rake db:migrate, I get this spewage:

(in /home/phlip/projects/tracks_1.042)
** Invoke db:migrate (first_time)
** Invoke environment (first_time)
** Execute environment
** Execute db:migrate
rake aborted!
Connection refused - connect(2)
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/mysql.rb:103:in `initialize'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/mysql.rb:103:in `new'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/mysql.rb:103:in `real_connect'

So what am I missing?

Yes, the database exists, mysqld is running as a dæmon, and I have a user
called 'tracks'@'127.0.0.1' granted permission to do stuff:

$ mysql -u tracks -p
Enter password:
mysql> use tracks;
Database changed

If you want to tell me to add socket: /tmp/mysql.sock, the file doesn't
exist, and socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.lock doesn't either! Oh, and I got
it all working in WinXP fine...

The mysql.rb is the Ruby-only one. I will build the .so version and try it.
But WinXP only worked with the Ruby-only mysql.rb file!

For my next magical trick, I shall figure out why CygWin's SSH keeps
aborting on <Ctrl+C>, and why CygWin-X keeps blanking the mouse cursor and
leaving it off!

Phlip

Paul said:
So make a symlink from the real library directory to the expected one.

Thank you for reminding me how I fixed it back when Mandriva was Mandrake!

(I should'a remembered to post it; sorry.)

Now is there a non-workaround here? Or is Mandriva just less broken?

(BTW I fixed the MySQL problem by jamming in SQLite and not looking back, so
once again workarounds rule!)