rcslib.py doesn't like dot in revision numbers?

chris-list-python

[Disclaimer: I'm a python newbie.]

I'm using rcslib.py to massage an RCS repo. The code uses a
"name_rev" object which acts two ways:

1. if it's a string, represents the head version of the file
2. if a tuple (name, rev) represents a name and a revision

Works fine if I use it like:

checkout('myfile.txt')

but if I invoke it with a version like:

checkout('myfile.txt', '1.1')

it complains about a bad character in the revision. The code which
checks this is here:

if c not in self.okchars:
raise ValueError, "bad char in rev"

and the chars that it thinks are OK are defined as:

okchars = string.ascii_letters + string.digits + '-_=+'

These okchars do not include '.' so normal numeric revision numbers
are not accessible.

Am I missing something? I can't find any doc on the library. I'm
using the one from http://www.darkcoding.net/projects/rcslibtext.py
which is newer than the allegedly abandoned under Python's pdist
directory of tools, but these both have the same behavior on this. Is
there some other facility I should be using instead of rcslib, like
rcsclient.py?

Thanks for any pointers.