Re: CSS for positioning

freemont

Ah yes. That's was I thought. Search engine experts.

No, just the same caliber of tech as Jenn. Think about it - if they'll
pay her, who /wouldn't/ they pay?
Then you should have added: "this doesn't work, I wouldn't use it, and
I don't recommend it."

But then she wouldn't be arguing.

Jenn

Beauregard said:
Ah yes. That's was I thought. Search engine experts.

It's part of their job ...

But since there is no benefit, why bother to bother with the meta
keywords?

It's their thing ... I just do the particular job I was hired to do ...
Of course. Though others reading here may agree with me.

So? If I was on a group for a long time, our positions might well be
swapped. Opposition is a healthy entity as far as I know.

Then you should have added: "this doesn't work, I wouldn't use it,
and I don't recommend it."

I haven't tested it, so I really haven't made up my mind about it. At this
point it's just interesting information.

Jenn

freemont said:
No, just the same caliber of tech as Jenn. Think about it - if they'll
pay her, who /wouldn't/ they pay?

What sort of paying job do you have? Inquiring minds would like to know?
But then she wouldn't be arguing.

As far as I can tell ... this particular portion of the discussion is not
*arguing*.

freemont

What sort of paying job do you have? Inquiring minds would like to know?

I'm not playing that game with you again. We were talking about /you/.
Not me. The people /you/ work with. Not me.

And if someone is paying you full time to work on websites, well, I can
hazard a good guess as to the quality of their other tech support.

On the other hand, sometimes people like you slip through. The others
might be smart and competent. Happens.

Jenn

freemont said:
I'm not playing that game with you again. We were talking about /you/.
Not me. The people /you/ work with. Not me.

ok .. so you don't have paying work right now... It's not an indicator of a
persons skill level. The job market is pretty tight.
And if someone is paying you full time to work on websites, well, I
can hazard a good guess as to the quality of their other tech support.

On the other hand, sometimes people like you slip through. The others
might be smart and competent. Happens.

.... whatever the case being for me.. I am very thankful and greatful for the
job I have and do whatever they need to the best of my ability, and if I
don't know how to do what they want, I go looking for the answers so I can
do what they want ...

freemont

ok .. so you don't have paying work right now...

Heheh... classic trolling behavior. So predictable.
It's not an indicator
of a persons skill level.

For that matter, /having/ work isn't any indication of skill levels,
either. You are evidence of this.

I'll take your little bait and state that I have full time work and a
small business out of my home.

All this information is readily available if one has the gumption to look
for it. But you don't look things up.

So what's your next bait going to be, I wonder. I assume we can't compare
dicks. Oh! You'll ask how much money I make. Next best thing, right? LOL

I'm getting bored with you again...

Adrienne Boswell

I was talking to the techs and they told me that Google will look at
and take into consideration the Meta Name keywords, but it doesn't
index them...

Jenn, use the source, in this case, Google itself. Don't rely on techs.
Straight from Matt Cutts, Google Search Quality Team:
"Google has ignored the keywords meta tag for years and currently we see
no need to change that policy."
You may want to point your techs to that information.
Also, content that is brought in via code like AJAX
boxes IS indexed by google because the content is seen by google
although it's displayed via something like an AJAX box.

Que? It's simple, if the content is generated via javascript, Google
cannot access it - period.
They
evidently feel that the Meta Name keywords is still applicable as far
as google goes, and they also feel that content displayed as I said
above is indexed by google and other search engines just fine.

There may be other SEs that use keywords, but they are not mainstream.
If you were building some sort of application for an Intranet, you could
use keywords. As for Google, see above.
I have done a bit of research and there can be other methods of
*hiding* keywords on site pages so a search engine like google will
index the page even if it isn't indexing the meta name keywords, not
the only method search engines index sites, or the navigation is using
a method google doesn't like, as some have said with javascript navs,
which is of course.

NEVER attempt to hide keywords. Your site will be penalized and removed
from the index. I know. When I first hired by the company I am with to
increase SERPs, their "tech" had hidden the keywords using white on
white. The company was not in the index AT ALL. I had to write a very
apologetic letter to Google, saying that the over sight had been fixed,
and the person responsible would no longer be writing any markup. It
still took two more letters, and four months before the site again
appeared in results.

Don't use doorway pages, pages specially crafted for SEs, duplicate
content, or participate in link schemes.

One method I found particularly interesting was inserting text with a
small font and the same color as the background within the page and
insert keywords into that text. At any rate, there are many ways to
get pages indexed and found by search engines.

See above.

Jenn

freemont said:
For that matter, /having/ work isn't any indication of skill levels,
either. You are evidence of this.
I'll take your little bait and state that I have full time work and a
small business out of my home.

That's good. I'm happy for you on both counts. Likewise, I have full time
work and a small business out of my home.
All this information is readily available if one has the gumption to
look for it. But you don't look things up.

I really don't go looking for info on people here. If someone has a website
link to their business I may look at it briefly, but I haven't noticed one
in your sigtag.
So what's your next bait going to be, I wonder. I assume we can't
compare dicks. Oh! You'll ask how much money I make. Next best thing,
right? LOL

I don't care how much you make. For that matter, I really don't want to
fight with you, either. Who knows... after all this initial not getting
along, we could end up being nice to one another eventually. Sometimes,
that's just the way communication is.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
How can you target a customer if they cannot find you?

By advertising in the print medium, by word of mouth, by email,
by doing nothing because the site is used by a limited number of
organizations all of whom know about it - imagine a website that
is specifically for distributors of a certain product, the author
hired by the wholesale manufacturing body. Shall I go on? (Who
famously asked this last question? Hint: A Western movie).

And then there are the sites that do not want to be found, their
point being to be invisible. There is a lot of untapped niche
work for people (with bizarre requirements) who are still loose
in the community and who are not able to be legally carted off
and importantly have loads of money and mean to spend it. The
astute website maker needs to position himself between them and
their money.

dorayme

Jeremy J Starcher said:
One of the sites I'm involved with has content coming in from members of
a historical society. They always ask questions about colors and fonts,
and I tell them to forget all of that and pretend they are sitting an old
manual typerwriter. What they would have typed out in boring letters
back in the "golden era of typing" is exactly what I want.

Its easier for me to wrap <p>...</p> around everything than to degunk
whatever they want to give me.

Yes. I tell some people not even to bother sending fancy
anything, dump it in plain email text body is fine. They never
*ever* do this in spite, so hard is it to believe for them that
this will do, they always send formatted text.

Which is fair enough, the formatted text they send sort of
represents their thoughts better (people do not really completely
separate content from style in their minds. Thoughts are not nude
information, they are already partly dressed up - yes sure, not
dressed to kill.

Jenn

dorayme said:
By advertising in the print medium, by word of mouth, by email,
by doing nothing because the site is used by a limited number of
organizations all of whom know about it - imagine a website that
is specifically for distributors of a certain product, the author
hired by the wholesale manufacturing body. Shall I go on? (Who
famously asked this last question? Hint: A Western movie).

And then there are the sites that do not want to be found, their
point being to be invisible. There is a lot of untapped niche
work for people (with bizarre requirements) who are still loose
in the community and who are not able to be legally carted off
and importantly have loads of money and mean to spend it. The
astute website maker needs to position himself between them and
their money.

hehehehe I love the part, "The astute website maker needs to position
himself between them and their money" LOL Can I quote you on that
elsewhere? :D

Jenn

dorayme said:
Its easier for me to wrap <p>...</p> around everything than to degunk
whatever they want to give me.

Yes. I tell some people not even to bother sending fancy
anything, dump it in plain email text body is fine. They never
*ever* do this in spite, so hard is it to believe for them that
this will do, they always send formatted text.

Which is fair enough, the formatted text they send sort of
represents their thoughts better (people do not really completely
separate content from style in their minds. Thoughts are not nude
information, they are already partly dressed up - yes sure, not
dressed to kill.[/QUOTE]

I am actually brought drawn out pictures by hand, often, of what people want
.....which makes it easier to interpret onto the web itself. Half the work
is getting the content from the people who want the new page. Sometimes,
they don't draw it exactly, but I usually get it on the web better than they
drew it, which pleases them.

Peter

<title> ... </title> isn't a meta element; and the meta description,
though possibly helpful, is not required.
Still would not leave it blank. Would you rather let the search engine
decide what text it displays for the page description?

Jenn

Lewis said:
In message <[email protected]>

Doesn't work. You know how most people use the Internet?

1) They open up their browser which loads google.com
2) if they know the address of the websites, THEY TYPE IT INTO GOOGLE
3) if they don't know the address, they type something into google.
4) they click the first link.
5) Return to step 1.

If you are not on google, you don't exist.

hogwash!

freemont

In message said:
Doesn't work. You know how most people use the Internet?

1) They open up their browser which loads google.com 2) if they know the
address of the websites, THEY TYPE IT INTO GOOGLE 3) if they don't know
the address, they type something into google. 4) they click the first
link.
5) Return to step 1.

If you are not on google, you don't exist.

This is absolutely accurate, I know from experience. Most users aren't
even aware of the address bar's existence. They've never used it.

The only point I would depart from is that most people have their home
page set to either MSN, Yahoo, or their ISP's home page, though many have
it set to Google.

But whatever home page they use, they type into the search bar, never the
address bar. If you want your site found, you'd better make it searchable.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Peter said:
(e-mail address removed) says...
Still would not leave it blank. Would you rather let the search engine
decide what text it displays for the page description?

I didn't say leave it blank (or omit it); I said it's not required, as
you were claiming.

And "what text to display" .. on my personal site for example, I have
only the domain name in the meta description, but google shows the first
couple sentences of page content in the search results.