Reading and updating Web part configuration

susacd

Hi,
I am trying to implement a simple portal framework in ASP.NET 2.0 and so far
it works very well. However, there is one important feature missing... The
personalized page is stored as a database BLOB only the WebPartManager can
make sense of. The problem: you cannot use the WebPartManager to change the
configuration of other users, nor to read or change the configuration of
other pages.

In my opinion, this seriously limits the functionality of products that are
to be developed with the new framework. For example, I cannot copy a Web
part from one page to another (or to all pages in my site), or make
configuration changes that are common to all Web parts on the site.

I have found a great article at
http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/teund/archive/2005/03/15/ChangingWebPartConfiguration.aspx
that describes just what I want... however, it doesn't work with the release
version of ASP.NET 2.0. The structure of the object array is described at
http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/teund/archive/2005/03/08/WebPartManager_Storage.aspx ,
but it is either changed or doesn't work in my scenario.

So, the big question is: is there a way to programatiacally change the
personalization settings? If not, is there at least a document that
describes the format of the personalization BLOB?

Thanks,

Denis