reference symbol not found with UDUNITS

Randy Rokosz

On a Solaris 7 machine, I had Perl 5.005_03 running with UDUNITS
successfully.
I'm not sure what the relationship is between the two. This perl is
/opt/gnu/bin/perl

I then upgraded perl to 5.8.0 and placed this in /usr/local/bin/perl,
keeping the old version where it was. I eventually ran a perl script
that did a 'use UDUNITS' and it said that it couldn't locate UDUNITS.pm
in @INC. I copied some of these files from the /opt/gnu/lib structure
to the /usr/local/lib structure (perhaps incorrectly?), and now I get:

ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/auto/UDUNITS/UDUNITS.so:
symbol perl_get_sv: referenced symbol not found

How can I get the new Perl to call UDUNITS correctly?

Thanks!!!

John Porter

Randy said:
On a Solaris 7 machine, I had Perl 5.005_03 running with UDUNITS
successfully.
I then upgraded perl to 5.8.0 and placed this in /usr/local/bin/perl,
I copied some of these files from the /opt/gnu/lib structure
to the /usr/local/lib structure (perhaps incorrectly?), and now I get:
ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/auto/UDUNITS/UDUNITS.so:
symbol perl_get_sv: referenced symbol not found

The two version of perl are not binary compatible.
That means that any modules with "binary" (i.e. compiled) code
won't work for both.
You'll need to re-compile UDUNITS for the 5.8 perl.
First, you should delete anything you copied from the 5.003 perl.
Even if a non-binary module from 5.003 works with 5.8, there's a
good chance it won't be the latest and greatest.
For maximum happiness, keep them separate!

Tad McClellan

Randy Rokosz said:
I had Perl 5.005_03
I then upgraded perl to 5.8.0
and now I get:

ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/auto/UDUNITS/UDUNITS.so:
symbol perl_get_sv: referenced symbol not found

Does UDUNITS have an XS component?

Perl 5.8.0 is not binary compatible with earlier versions.

How can I get the new Perl to call UDUNITS correctly?

Modules that use C code will need to be recompiled (reinstalled).

Uri Guttman

DHA> In article

DHA> Yes.

my wife parses and pronounces whodunits as hod-units. as in how many hod
units were needed by the killer.

:)

uri