There are versions of ruby such as -

Ruby 1.8.6-p398
Ruby 1.8.7-p330
Ruby 1.9.1-p430
Ruby 1.8.7-p249
Ruby 1.9.1-p378
Ruby 1.9.2-p0
Ruby 1.9.2-p136

I am wondering what the suffixes starting with p stand for. I know a, b
and rc may stand for alpha, beta and release candidate respectively in
some cases, but not sure about p. (Does it stand for production? Are
the numbers following the p's just build nubmers?) Thank you.

Su

Anurag Priyam

There are versions of ruby such as -
Ruby 1.8.6-p398
Ruby 1.8.7-p330
Ruby 1.9.1-p430
Ruby 1.8.7-p249
Ruby 1.9.1-p378
Ruby 1.9.2-p0
Ruby 1.9.2-p136

p denotes the patch level. You can find out the patch level you are using with:

$ ruby -e 'puts RUBY_PATCHLEVEL'

Su Zhang

Anurag Priyam wrote in post #973261:
p denotes the patch level. You can find out the patch level you are
using with:

$ ruby -e 'puts RUBY_PATCHLEVEL'

Thank you, Anurag. Just one more question: how are the numbers chosen to
denote the patch level? Number of fixes?

Anurag Priyam

Thank you, Anurag. Just one more question: how are the numbers chosen to
denote the patch level? Number of fixes?

AFAIK, yes, number of patches.