RELEASED Python 3.0 final

Barry Warsaw

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I
am happy to announce the release of Python 3.0 final.

Python 3.0 (a.k.a. "Python 3000" or "Py3k") represents a major
milestone in Python's history, and was nearly three years in the
making. This is a new version of the language that is incompatible
with the 2.x line of releases, while remaining true to BDFL Guido van
Rossum's vision. Some things you will notice include:

* Fixes to many old language warts
* Removal of long deprecated features and redundant syntax
* Improvements in, and a reorganization of, the standard library
* Changes to the details of how built-in objects like strings and
dicts work
* ...and many more new features

While these changes were made without concern for backward
compatibility, Python 3.0 still remains very much "Pythonic".

We are confident that Python 3.0 is of the same high quality as our
previous releases, such as the recently announced Python 2.6. We will
continue to support and develop both Python 3 and Python 2 for the
foreseeable future, and you can safely choose either version (or both)
to use in your projects. Which you choose depends on your own needs
and the availability of third-party packages that you depend on. Some
other things to consider:

* Python 3 has a single Unicode string type; there are no more 8-bit
strings
* The C API has changed considerably in Python 3.0 and third-party
extension modules you rely on may not yet be ported
* Tools are available in both Python 2.6 and 3.0 to help you migrate
your code
* Python 2.6 is backward compatible with earlier Python 2.x releases

We encourage you to participate in Python 3.0's development process by
joining its mailing list:

If you find things in Python 3.0 that are broken or incorrect, please
submit bug reports at:

http://bugs.python.org/

For more information, links to documentation, and downloadable
distributions, see the Python 3.0 website:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/

Enjoy,
- -Barry

Barry Warsaw
(e-mail address removed)
Python 2.6/3.0 Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

alex23

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I
am happy to announce the release of Python 3.0 final.

Thanks to you and everyone involved for your efforts!

Carl Banks

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I
am happy to announce the release of Python 3.0 final.

Congratulations! This is a great day for the Python community.

Carl Banks

Iain King

[...]

Props. I just looked through the What's New and the change log, but I
couldn't find the answer to something: has any change been made to
how tabs and spaces are used as indentation? Can they still be
(inadvisably) mixed in one file? Or, more extremely, has one or the
other been abolished?

Iain

Gerhard Häring

Iain said:
[...] Props. I just looked through the What's New and the change log, but I
couldn't find the answer to something: has any change been made to
how tabs and spaces are used as indentation? Can they still be
(inadvisably) mixed in one file? Or, more extremely, has one or the
other been abolished?

As you have probably guessed: nothing changed here.

Also see: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0666/

-- Gerhard

greg

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I
am happy to announce the release of Python 3.0 final.

Way to go and congratulations!
--greg

J Kenneth King

Barry Warsaw said:
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I
am happy to announce the release of Python 3.0 final.

Yay!

Thanks for all the great work.

skip

Daniel> Why not?

Because it has historically been a source of errors in a mixed development
environment (people using text editors with different tab stops). Better to
not allow them to be mixed.

Skip

Andreas Waldenburger

Daniel> Why not?

Because it has historically been a source of errors in a mixed
development environment (people using text editors with different tab
stops). Better to not allow them to be mixed.
Whenever has it been a pythonic ideal to "not allow" stuff? You get
warnings. Everything else is up to you.

/W

skip

Andreas> Whenever has it been a pythonic ideal to "not allow" stuff? You
Andreas> get warnings. Everything else is up to you.

It's more than warnings. With properly crafted combinations of spaces and
tabs you can get code which looks like it has a certain indentation to the
human observer but which looks like it has different indentation (and thus
different semantics) to the byte code compiler. There is often no warning.

Skip

George Sakkis

    Andreas> Whenever has it been a pythonic ideal to "not allow" stuff? You
    Andreas> get warnings. Everything else is up to you.

It's more than warnings.  With properly crafted combinations of spaces and
tabs you can get code which looks like it has a certain indentation to the
human observer but which looks like it has different indentation (and thus
different semantics) to the byte code compiler.  There is often no warning.

Amazing.. was it a conscious decision to keep the current behavior in
3.x or it was not even considered dropping it ?? Does anyone have a
link where this was decided ?

George

James Stroud

Barry said:
On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I am
happy to announce the release of Python 3.0 final.

comp.lang.python3k ?

bearophileHUGS

Andreas Waldenburger:
Whenever has it been a pythonic ideal to "not allow" stuff? You get
warnings. Everything else is up to you.

It's a strong source for bugs, especially for newbies, that I have
hoped to see removed from Python3 (my first request of this was years
ago). I was nearly sure to see this wart removed from Python3, and now
I hear it's presents still. I don't understand why they haven't fixed
it.

Then this is the third thing I don't like of Python3 (the other two
being the removal of automatic tuple unpacking in function signature
and the wart of literals for empty set/dict).

Bye,
bearophile

Andreas Waldenburger

Andreas> Whenever has it been a pythonic ideal to "not allow"
Andreas> stuff? You get warnings. Everything else is up to you.

It's more than warnings. With properly crafted combinations of
spaces and tabs you can get code which looks like it has a certain
indentation to the human observer but which looks like it has
different indentation (and thus different semantics) to the byte code
compiler. There is often no warning.
I just looked at "python --help", it seems that there is no warning per
default.

My point is: If you mix tabs and spaces in a way that breaks code,
you'll find out pretty easily, because your program will not work. It's
your choice, and I think it's pretty nice that Python lets you
choose. After all, some people are of the "indentation for structure,
spaces for alignment" faction. Why make their life harder?

/W