RELEASED Python 3.1 alpha 1

Benjamin Peterson

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
happy to announce the first alpha release of Python 3.1.

Python 3.1 focuses on the stabilization and optimization of features and changes
Python 3.0 introduced. The new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed.
Other features include a ordered dictionary implementation and support for ttk
Tile in Tkinter.

Please note that these are alpha releases, and as such are not suitable for
production environments. We continue to strive for a high degree of quality,
but there are still some known problems and the feature sets have not been
finalized. These alphas are being released to solicit feedback and hopefully
discover bugs, as well as allowing you to determine how changes in 3.1 might
impact you. If you find things broken or incorrect, please submit a bug report
at

http://bugs.python.org

For more information and downloads, see the Python 3.1 website:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1/

See PEP 375 for release schedule details:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0361/

Enjoy,
-- Benjamin

Benjamin Peterson
benjamin at python.org
Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

Carl Banks

[...]

I see that Brett Canon's importlib has finally made it into Python
standard library. Congrats there (if you still read this list), I am
struggling with Python's arcane import semantics (for something
ridiculously silly) now and I feel your pain.

Carl Banks

Benjamin Peterson

Scott David Daniels said:
Congratulations on the release.
I know 3.0 didn't have installers built for the alphas, will that be the
case for 3.1?

Yes, probably they won't emerge until final.

bearophileHUGS

Are the computed gotos used in the future pre-compiled Windows binary
(of V.3.1) too?

Is such optimization going to be backported to the 2.x series too,
like Python 2.7?

Bye and thank you for your work,
bearophile

Benjamin Peterson

Are the computed gotos used in the future pre-compiled Windows binary
(of V.3.1) too?

I doubt it. I don't think they've even been built yet. Martin will now, though.
Is such optimization going to be backported to the 2.x series too,
like Python 2.7?

Probably not. It provides a good incentive for people to upgrade. :)

bearophileHUGS

Benjamin Peterson:
It provides a good incentive for people to upgrade. :)<

Sometimes at work you are forced you to use Python 2.x, so incentives
aren't much relevant.

Christian Heimes:
No, the MS Visual C compiler doesn't supported labels as values [1]. The feature is only supported by some compilers like GCC.<

And I guess the Intel compiler can't be used for that?

I'm a bit sad but thank you,
bearophile

benjamin at python.org
Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

Do you have any schedule for a Windows
binary release?

Colin W.

laplacian42

I see that Brett Canon's importlib has finally made it into Python
standard library.  Congrats there (if you still read this list), I am
struggling with Python's arcane import semantics (for something
ridiculously silly) now and I feel your pain.

Hi Carl,

Could you please give a couple quick examples of these current "arcane
import semantics" (or at least point me in the right direction)? I
don't know what you mean, and would like to understand what Brett's
importlib fixes. Thank you.