Reload Problem

ghostwolf

Hi, I'm new to ASP.NET. If the web page is running in server-side, how
can I reload the particular section of the web page instead of the whole
page? Say, I've separated the web page into several frames and I want to
reload one of the frames without reload the whole page. How can I do
this? Shall I use client-side program? Thanks in millions

John Timney \(MVP\)

web pages are based on the principle that you make a request to a server,
and it responds with a reply. Once you have requested the page - the
results are sent to the client and there is no connection to that server.
So your page is not actually running on the server - it has ran.

So, you have two basic choices - one is to request the page and use fragment
caching so make sure that while the whole page is returned only certain
parts of it are updated, thus your response times are quicker.....or you can
look at Atlas (Ajax) and connect client side actions to server side methods,
thus avoiding a whole page round trip.

I would seriously consider not using frames unless you need to, they are
clunky and awkward to work with....but if you nede to update a frame then
you have to revert to Javascript. Lots of examples around for cross frame
scripting.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)

ghostwolf

Yes, and which choice is easier for me to implement? Does VS.NET 2005
support "fragment caching" or "AJAX"? Thanks in advance.