Request Timeout - Request has been aborted

Greg

I have a long running process that generates an excel file to be streamed to
the end user. I am confused about why it is causing an error, however.
When the page runs for one customer (running not as long) it completes
without a problem. When it runs for a second customer with more data, the
page returns empty. IE displays the page can't be displayed page, and
firefox displayes the page saying "XML parsing Error, no element found". I
have come to find that both of these errors are indicitive of the same
problem, that the web server has returned an empty page - no text at all.

I am unable to reproduce this problem on my development machine - running
windows XP with visual studio 2008. When I reduce the executionTimeout
property on my local machine to below the time that it takes to execute the
page, I get an actual page timed out error (which I would expect), not the
blank page.

I have been able to reproduce this problem on two separate windows 2003
server machines, however. I have tried to change the executionTimeout value
on the servers, and it doesn't appear to change anything. I have reduced it
to 10 seconds, and it doesn't give me the page timeout error, and it doesn't
timeout in 10 seconds. I have increased it to above 180 seconds and the
page still times out and returnes the empty page.

I also found some documentation that says that the executiontimeout value is
only applied when the compilation setting is set to non debug mode, so I
have changed that and nothing is different. I don't seem to find anyone
else who has had this problem in searching the internet, so I thought I
would post it here to see if I can get any guidance. Any help or
suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg