Ruby Cookbook

Austin Ziegler

RUBY ROUC is not a joke

Gus, I understand what you're wanting to do. The way that you've
approached this, however, does have some people wondering about the
ability to follow through. The language is "Ruby," as you've noted, so
the title of the conference should be:

Ruby for the Rest of Us Conference 2006

which would still leave RUBY ROUC as a semi-valid short name. I don't
fault your enthusiasm, but I think that you underestimate how much
planning goes into a successful conference, and little has been done to
counteract the slapdash feel to this. I don't know what the budget and
planning for the first Slamdance festival was, but I suspect that it was
planned a little more carefully than this appears to be planned so far.

So why don't you calm down, take a breath, and then rewrite the pages
surrounding the ROUC. Stop including unnecessary personal references and
attacks on people who are *extremely well regarded* in the Ruby
community. Attacks on them, when they've been extremely calm in pointing
out that the use of "RUBY" isn't appropriate when referring to the
language will win you no friends.

A conference can be low-budget and still be successful without appearing
slapdash. You may like having the humour, but I would plan a little more
carefully before making the grand announcements that you've made.
Otherwise, your first conference may be your last conference as well,
because people will talk about how well the conference was managed.
Badly managed conferences don't last.

Best of luck to hosting a "Rest of Us..." conference; you might even
want to look at the unconference[1] model for what you're wanting to do.
For that, though, a theatre presentation model definitely won't work. I
almost certainly guarantee that people will want Internet access during
the conference, and that people will want time and space to chat during
sessions that they're not interested in. Are you ready for that?

-austin
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference

Kilivor Kante

Jim said:
No its not available anymore as a rough cut, and I agree this book would
be much more useful as a
PDF than a paper book IMHO. (Especially those of us with dual monitors!)

I'll wait for a PDF book from another publisher I think, as O'Reilly
seems to not like the PDF
format, maybe they should look at how well the pragmatic programmers are
doing ;)

A little OT, but just to mention that my PDF experience improved quite a
lot after switching to this tiny and free PDF reader
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php (for Windows)

Adobe Acrobat Reader is soooooo... slow?

Mike Berrow

The "Ruby Cookbook" by Lucas Carlson and Leonard Richardson has just
been made available in PDF form for 1/2 price of the printed copy.

This is an excellent 906 page reference covering all aspects of Ruby
development.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rubyckbk/?CMP=ILC-H2K675675382&ATT=rubyckbk

I already had the paper book, but I just purchased and downloaded the
PDF too.
I really like having the combination. Paper for the easy chair, PDF on
my laptop for weightless reference while I'm working at the coffee shop.

-- Mike Berrow