ruby gems trouble?

uchenwc

Can anyone give me some hints on a 'gem' trouble that bug me for quite
while?

I've both windows2000 & XP at home connect though linksys wrt54g to
internet
through cable modem. I am not sure which part of the setting that
prevent me
from using Gem. It always hang or like doing nothering. A same ruby
version
& gem installation works on my company PC. I tried disable the firewall
of
both PC & router but the problem persists.

-=-=-=
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>gem -v
0.8.10

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>gem install rake
Attempting local installation of 'rake'
Local gem file not found: rake*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
<-- nothing after -->

Assaph Mehr

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>gem install rake
Attempting local installation of 'rake'
Local gem file not found: rake*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
<-- nothing after -->

A couple of notes:
- This operation is known to take a long time. How long have you waited
for it to finish?
- Are you behind a proxy/firewall? Is there any setting on the cable
modem that's related to proxying? Have you set any envrionment
variables/configured your browser to go through proxy?

Can you please post the outcome with debug information? e.g.
gem --debug --backtrace install rake

Cheers,
Assaph

uchenwc

Assaph said:
A couple of notes:
- This operation is known to take a long time. How long have you waited
for it to finish?

probably no more than 30 minutes but in the company PC, the same seems
take no more than 1 minute.
- Are you behind a proxy/firewall? Is there any setting on the cable
modem that's related to proxying? Have you set any envrionment
variables/configured your browser to go through proxy?

I personally do not have proxy setup. I did disable XP firewall &
router firewall and get the same result. My high speed is through
earthlink that through TimeWarner cable but does it make any
difference?

Can you please post the outcome with debug information? e.g.
gem --debug --backtrace install rake

Good pointer, I'll try that tonight and compare it with my run in my
company PC. The strange thing is the company PC did go through some
proxy or DMZ zone but I did not need to do anything to make 'gem'
works. It just works.

I appreciate your help!

Jack

uchenwc

It seems works after download the gem file into local disk.

As said on my company PC, I don't need the extra step but well I am not
an expert to figure out myself. Move on for the fun part:)

I really appreciate your help, Assaph!

C:\>gem --debug --backtrace install rake
Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/config_file
..rb:12 - No such file or directory - C:\Documents and
Settings\Owner/.gemrc
Attempting local installation of 'rake'
Local gem file not found: rake*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
Exception `EOFError' at
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer
..rb:222 - End of file reached
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org <- stop at
here at
least 20 mintues,kill the window

-=- now download the gem file to local disk and it seems works in a
minute with even router security firewall on

C:\tmp>gem install rake-0.5.4.gem
Attempting local installation of 'rake-0.5.4.gem'
Successfully installed rake, version 0.5.4
Installing RDoc documentation for rake-0.5.4...

C:\tmp>