Ruby Serialport 0.6 library question

gregarican

I am going to try out the Ruby Serialport library to pipe things into
an application I'm working on. The port I am looking to monitor is a
virtual COM port that is seen in Windows. The virtual COM port is
created by a USB driver that comes bundled with an ISDN TA. Does anyone
know if the Ruby Serialport library will be able to see this virtual
COM port. For example a USB port might be assigned a COM port like COM5
in Windows, since this wouldn't conflict with physical devices that
might be assigned in the COM1-4 range.

gregarican

I can't event get serialport-0.6 working on any of my win32 COM ports.
What I am experiencing is exactly what is outlined on
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=560&group_id=61&atid=319
in terms of this library being nonfunctional on certain Windows
platforms. Does anyone have a handle on this? Reading through past
threads listed on c.l.r it appears as if for the past several years
folks have had problems getting serialport to function using certain
versions of Windows. And apparently it's not something related to a
specific Ruby release version.

gregarican

gregarican said:
I can't event get serialport-0.6 working on any of my win32 COM ports.
What I am experiencing is exactly what is outlined on
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=560&group_id=6...
in terms of this library being nonfunctional on certain Windows
platforms. Does anyone have a handle on this? Reading through past
threads listed on c.l.r it appears as if for the past several years
folks have had problems getting serialport to function using certain
versions of Windows. And apparently it's not something related to a
specific Ruby release version.

I installed Win32Serial and so far it appears to be working for me on
Windows 2K using Ruby 1.8.2...