runtime.exec problems

Memo

I can't get runtime.exec to execute a program in Java. I am trying to
execute a bat file. I read that in order to run bat files as opposed
to .exe files the runtime command has to include "cmd /c start" before
the name of the bat file. I have run bat files successfully this way
before.

The command that I am running works when typed from the command line.
It is:

z:/n4/pkg/MrServers/MrVista/Simu/StartSimEnv.bat -AutoStart
GOLD_256x512.dat

When I try the following code:

File file = new File(imageDir);
cmd = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd /c start "+simDir+"StartSimEnv.bat -
AutoStart " + imageName;

IJ.log("cmd = " + cmd);

Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();

try{
Process proc = runtime.exec(cmd,null,file);
}
catch(Exception e)
{
IJ.log(e.toString());
}

StartSimEnv.bat file gives a message about the usage being wrong as if
I'm giving the wrong parameters. If I delete imageName from the cmd
string it doesn't complain about usage but doesn't do the task I want
it to do.

I tried putting the parameters in an array as follows:

File file = new File(imageDir);
String[] cmdArray = {cmdPath, "/c", "start",simDir+"StartSimEnv.bat","-
AutoStart",imageName};

IJ.log("cmdArray = " + cmdArray[0] + " " + cmdArray[1] + " " +
cmdArray[2] + " " + cmdArray[3] + " " + cmdArray[4] + " " +
cmdArray[5]);
Runtime runtime = Runtime.getRuntime();

try{
Process proc = runtime.exec(cmdArray,null,file);
}
catch(Exception e)
{
IJ.log(e.toString());
}

I still get a message about usage.
I have made efforts with process builder also but can't get that to
work either. Does anyone have any ideas why this isn't working?

Eric Sosman

I can't get runtime.exec to execute a program in Java. I am trying to
execute a bat file. I read that in order to run bat files as opposed
to .exe files the runtime command has to include "cmd /c start" before
the name of the bat file. I have run bat files successfully this way
before.

The command that I am running works when typed from the command line.
It is:

z:/n4/pkg/MrServers/MrVista/Simu/StartSimEnv.bat -AutoStart
GOLD_256x512.dat

When I try the following code:

File file = new File(imageDir);
cmd = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd /c start "+simDir+"StartSimEnv.bat -
AutoStart " + imageName;

I assume `cmd' is a String, and `simDir' and `imageName' are things
that have reasonable toString() methods. Even so, I cannot imagine how
this would get through a Java compiler, since the only context I can
think of that would make it valid would be to surround it with /* */.

Here's a thought: Show us the actual code, not a half-baked
uncompilable paraphrase. I could make a bunch of guesses about what
your code actually is, and then I could try to debug the code I'd
guessed at -- but the thing you want debugged is your code, not my
guesswork.

Roedy Green

I can't get runtime.exec to execute a program in Java. I am trying to
execute a bat file. I read that in order to run bat files as opposed
to .exe files the runtime command has to include "cmd /c start" before
the name of the bat file. I have run bat files successfully this way
before.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/exec.html
for the standard gotchas.
--