Scientific Notation Conversion

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and I found this site from a reply on 2005 in the python forum about a similar problem I am having, only it was a bit different.

I need a procedure to convert extremely large numbers from scientific notation to a large area of memory. The numbers are as large as 60111^9888777 and obviously to re-multiply 60111 nearly 10 million times sounds like something a supercomputer must do first, but for my specific situation a regular PC must be able to do it.

I am creating a calculator emulator at assembly level since the math processing on my 32 bit computer will not work. So since I am going to be working with this number at low level binary, I was hoping for some kind of shortcut, perhaps mathematical, that would convert the result with significantly less processing at an emulation level.

I am asking in a C++ forum because most of the program is written in that language with inline asm where it needs to be.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
I figured out the answer on my own, and I also realized that this forum is not an appropriate place to ask this question because the answer is heavily in the realm of mathematics and not in C++ specific syntax as this forum seems to focus on.

For any of you who are interested in the answer, there is a couple of good examples of techniques that reduce the amount of multiplication needed to compute the power of numbers on wikipedia under the keyword "exponent".

Ask a Question