Sending Email

JaffaCakes

I want to send an email confirmation after a user completes a form on
our Internet page. I am testing this with the System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail
class.

If I do a SmtpMail.Send then the message takes days to reach the
recipient. It is possible to set the SmtpServer but what will it be as
the webserver is sitting on the otherside of our firewall so our
Exchange Server address will be of no use.

Can someone help? I am probably barking up the wrong tree as I know
that when I sign up to things on the net I usually get an email
confirmation within seconds. So what is the best way to acheive this?

sloan

A couple of things:

"If I do a SmtpMail.Send then the message takes days to reach the
recipient"

That's a blanket statement, a little too blanket-y.
Sometimes it depends on the smtp server you're using, sometimes the client
email.
When I sent emails to hotmail accounts, or gmail accounts (even my hotmail
or gmail account), its not "instant", because I think somebody is doing some
spam checking.
I've noticed its not a consistent amount of time, so they perhaps they are
using a queue system to "read thru" the emails.

I've noticed that when I use my local isp email as the recipient, i usually
get it within seconds.

http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/
or
http://spaces.msn.com/sholliday/
2/8/2006 entry

i have 1.1 and 2.0 samples, including a config section for setting up email
sending .. on development vs production machines.

you can also check
C:\Inetpub\mailroot (subfolder in here)
and see if your message gets "stuck" somtimes.

My advice would be to run some permutations on the sender smtp and recipient
email.

You can get a gmail account, and setup sending emails through their smtp
server to have something to contrast against.
Take your code home, and try you home isp smtp settings as well.

Try different email recipient email addresses if you can also.

I think you'll find its not ~just the "its immediate" or "its takes X days",
there are alot of different factors.

try a different isp. this is nothing to do with .net. framework or asp.
Learn about computer communications.