Server PUSH to client

PBS

We have an internal asp.net application for orders/manufacturing
information. Presently we have set the META Refresh tag on the affected
pages set to "120" so the client browsers refresh every two minutes so
displayed data is "current". This has several drawbacks, including the
annoyance of a the refresh occurring while the user is viewing a page, and
the fact that the great majority of refreshes are unnecessary as no data has
changed.

Is there a technique for sending updates from the Server to the Client when
data is changed? Any suggestions?

Thanks/

Brock Allen

Is there a technique for sending updates from the Server to the Client
when data is changed? Any suggestions?

HTTP is a request/response protocol. You'll have to work around that issue
by building a polling system, which it already sounds like you're doing with
the META Refresh tags. The other option is to use XmlHttp in javascript to
make a request tot he server. This will avoid the refresh when no data has
changed. Once your javascript does detect a chance, you can make the browser
do a refresh.

Dale Preston

You could just add an iframe to your page and set the src of the iframe to
an aspx page that will reload on a timer using meta refresh or a javascript
timer. The iframe will reload its document without reloading the rest of
the page.

HTH

Dale Preston
MCAD, MCDBA, MCSE