setting focus ahead in a repeater

CGW

Using textboxes and a repeater, I have a grid of entry cells (line items by
days). I set the tab index when I load and tabbing works fine. I use the
onkeydown event to trap for arrow keys (37, 38, 39, 40) and am able to reset
focus to the next cell, right, left, or down. However, I cannot set focus to
a cell in a higher row number, even though I am building my string for the
getElementByID the exact same way. I get a null reference to any textbox in a
higher row.

Is there some gotcha here that I don't know about yet? Can anyone help?
Please!