Socket programming using Visual C++ .Net

Jean-Philippe Guyon

Hello,

I am trying to compile a class that uses socket using the Visual C++
..NET compiler. I get the following error:

------ Build started: Project: infCommon, Configuration: Release Win32
------

Compiling...
cl : Command line warning D4029 : optimization is not available in the
standard edition compiler
infSocketObject.cxx
c:\ILS\inFACT\Common\infSocketObject.h(4) : fatal error C1083: Cannot
open include file: 'sys/socket.h': No such file or directory
infServerSocketObject.cxx
c:\ILS\inFACT\Common\infSocketObject.h(4) : fatal error C1083: Cannot
open include file: 'sys/socket.h': No such file or directory
infObjectUsingSocket.cxx
c:\ILS\inFACT\Common\infSocketObject.h(4) : fatal error C1083: Cannot
open include file: 'sys/socket.h': No such file or directory
infClientSocketObject.cxx
c:\ILS\inFACT\Common\infSocketObject.h(4) : fatal error C1083: Cannot
open include file: 'sys/socket.h': No such file or directory
Generating Code...

Obviously, the #include<sys/socket.h> is the issue... but why is that
??? Is it because Visual C++ .Net does not support standard socket
programming ??? I actually checked in the include directory of Visual
C++ .NET and was unable to find any trace of the socket.h file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jean-Philippe

Mike Wahler

Jean-Philippe Guyon said:
[...]

Your question is not about ISO standard C++, the only topic here.
You need to ask about this in a Visual C++ newsgroup, e.g.

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

If your news server does not have this group, connect your news
reader to Microsoft's public news server, msnews.micorosoft.com

Purpose of comp.lang.c++:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

-Mike

Kevin Mooney

Hello Jean-Philippe,

you are right when you say that including <sys/socket.h> is the
problem. This is the header file used for *nix based systems. Windows
has implented their own version very similar to the BSD sockets API.
The include file for this is simply <winsock2.h>. You will also have
to link the WS2_32.lib to your program. This can be done in the
project settings menu. Another issue of importance is the way that
the API is implemented. Even though it is very similar to coding
sockets on other systems, it still has its differences. For example
you must call WSAStartup() before you even call socket(). Once you
see the code however you should be more than comfortable with coding
sockets in windows. Just search the web and you'll find what you
need.

Good Luck,
Kevin Mooney