Spot The Error

Arved Sandstrom

Where did I say that?

Errr, above in the quoted material. I asked if you were consciously
aware of what code was doing database connection disposal. You answered
by stating that your modern language takes care of all that for you. Do
you see where we said that?

Given that exchange, I simply asked a further simple question: what
modern language is it that you're using that is taking care of database
connection cleanup for you, to the extent that you're not writing any
code of your own to even control the nature of disposal?

AHS

Mike Schilling

Lawrence D'Oliveiro said:
Can’t see those words anywhere. Please point them out.

Can you stop being coy and explain what you did mean by "modern language
which takes care of such cleanup for me"?

Arved Sandstrom

Can you stop being coy and explain what you did mean by "modern language
which takes care of such cleanup for me"?

That's all that I was curious about myself. I am seriously not trying to
take the piss out of Lawrence here; it's simply that even with modern
Python (ISTR) you need to do some coding when it comes to proper
disposal of database connections. In fact I can't think of anything, off
the top of my pointy head - not Java with even JDK 7, not C# with
IDisposable, not Python with context managers, not Ruby, not F#, not
Haskell with haskelldb etc etc where one is absolved of anything and
everything to do with connection disposal.

Even with a C# "using" block a better answer would be that you're aware
of how the background mechanism works and why it is that you yourself
don't have to write what you used to have to write. And you do have to
write the code to use the "using" construct.

AHS

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Can you stop being coy and explain what you did mean by "modern language
which takes care of such cleanup for me"?

Certainly. All you have to do is point out what “cleanup†you think my code
was missing.

Mike Schilling

Lawrence D'Oliveiro said:
Certainly. All you have to do is point out what “cleanup†you think my
code
was missing.

In other words, no. Whatever.