SQLMembershipProvider

Ryan

Hello,

I have a question on the default: AspNetSqlProvider. I know that, by
default, this looks for a database created locally in the appdata
directory. Although I have learned how to change the connection, it
involves modifying the web.config file manually, which made me wonder:

-Is the default connection stored anywhere globally? If not, is it
simply a part of the object?

Next, I see that when you go to select the provider in the ASP.Net
Configuration tool, you will get a message (should the local DB not
exist yet) that you should use the aspnet_regsql tool at the command
line. While this tool CREATES the database whereever you want, it does
not change the settings of the ASPNetSQLProvider connection string (at
least for me).

-Is that normal behavior?

I guess I am just trying to get an understanding of where the values of
these things are stored, whether in some global config file somewhere,
in the objects themselves, or elsewhere AND making sure that my GUI is
working properly. I saw a lot of things talking about how the GUI
could really assist in creating the web config file, but perhaps some
things need to be done by hand???

Lastly, I upgraded from Visual Studio 2003 and have IIS 4.0. I do not
see any of my 2005 web projects.

-Is that normal? Do I need to upgrade to IIS 5.0 or higher in order to
fully manage by .net 2.0 apps?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan

Thanks. I am still not clear about a few things. Per that article, It
does look like the only way to over ride the default database setting
is by editing the web config file by hand. I have done this and it
seems I was successful, BUT I notice that when I navigate to the
Provider selection page under ASP.NET configuration, the provider name
that I created in my application's web.config file does not appear.
Only the default ASPNetSQLProvider appears (unchecked). I seem to be
connecting to a database other than ASPNEWSQLProvider, but am wondering
why the name of the membership provider I setup does not appear as an
option in the list.

Thanks,
Ryan

sticky

im not sure why the provider that you have specified is not showing up
in the config tool. I never use it so i cant really comment.

if your site is using the provider that you have specified, then it
must be a problem with the config tool.
they show up when i look at them through the config tool
make sure your membership provider declaration looks something like
this

<membership defaultProvider="SqlMemProvider">
<providers>
<add name="SqlMemProvider"
connectionStringName="SystemConnection"
applicationName="BookingSystem"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"
enablePasswordRetrieval="false"
enablePasswordReset="true"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"
requiresUniqueEmail="true"