stable software, How to ?

Howie

Hi,

i am searching for some tips/links/books or hints to make a huge
software realy stable and if an error occours, to find the
errorposition in a short time.

So i am looking for these therms:

- exception handling
- debugging concepts and debug-tools
- Bug finding (such like incorrect pointers to nowhere)
- initialisation/instantiation of objects
(here i use a lot of from "Large Scale C++ Software Design" from
Lakos, realy good)

Thanks in advance,

Howie

Thomas Matthews

Howie said:
Hi,

i am searching for some tips/links/books or hints to make a huge
software realy stable and if an error occours, to find the
errorposition in a short time.

Aren't we all?

So i am looking for these therms:

- exception handling
- debugging concepts and debug-tools
- Bug finding (such like incorrect pointers to nowhere)
- initialisation/instantiation of objects
(here i use a lot of from "Large Scale C++ Software Design" from
Lakos, realy good)

Thanks in advance,

Howie

The only method I know of is to test every boundary condition
and check the return results from functions and check for
any thrown exceptions.

Also search for the keyword "robust".

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Howie

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:23:10 GMT, Thomas Matthews

Thanks Thomas,
Aren't we all?

Then there must be a inovative developer who has solved such a
problem. ;- o )

The only method I know of is to test every boundary condition
and check the return results from functions and check for
any thrown exceptions.

Also search for the keyword "robust".

Ok.

Howie

Jack Klein

Hi,

i am searching for some tips/links/books or hints to make a huge
software realy stable and if an error occours, to find the
errorposition in a short time.

So i am looking for these therms:

- exception handling
- debugging concepts and debug-tools
- Bug finding (such like incorrect pointers to nowhere)
- initialisation/instantiation of objects
(here i use a lot of from "Large Scale C++ Software Design" from
Lakos, realy good)

You missed the most important and cost effective ones, most of which
have their greatest impact when applied before the ones above:

- sensible coding requirements (and don't call them "style guides")
rigorously enforced.

- code inspections

- formal test plans

- unit tests