support for ruby 1.9

Daniel DeLorme

Is there some kind of package out there that would allow me to develop
in ruby 1.8 while avoiding incompatibility with 1.9? Something that for
example would:
define String#lines
warn me when I use String#to_a
define Kernel#funcall
warn me when I use Kernel#send on a private method
...etc

That would be quite useful.

Daniel

Gregory Brown

Is there some kind of package out there that would allow me to develop
in ruby 1.8 while avoiding incompatibility with 1.9? Something that for
example would:
define String#lines
warn me when I use String#to_a
define Kernel#funcall
warn me when I use Kernel#send on a private method
...etc

That would be quite useful.

Austin Ziegler and I were talking a while ago about how it'd be cool
to have an option like:

ruby --warn1.9

As far as I know, such initiatives haven't taken place yet, but they'd
be quite welcome. I want to start working on 1.9 compatibility for
some of my projects in the next couple months, to be an 'early
adopter'.

SonOfLilit

1.9 doesn't sound API-stable enough to start thinking about it yet, IMHO.

Aur Saraf

Gregory Brown

1.9 doesn't sound API-stable enough to start thinking about it yet, IMHO.

It is scheduled to be released in December. It will need to slow down
soon enough.