Textbox Control

Scott M.

I need to be able to have a web form that users can enter (either by typing
or pasting from a rich text format) text into. The entered text will then
be saved as a new web page (.htm).

The web forms Textbox control does not preserve any rich text formatting.
I've tried adding a RichTextBox Control (COM) to my page, but it only shows
as a small square and does not respond to intelliSense.

Any ideas?

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

Scott said:
I need to be able to have a web form that users can enter (either by typing
or pasting from a rich text format) text into. The entered text will then
be saved as a new web page (.htm).

The web forms Textbox control does not preserve any rich text formatting.
I've tried adding a RichTextBox Control (COM) to my page, but it only shows
as a small square and does not respond to intelliSense.

Any ideas?

There are browser-based RichTextBox controls. Check out:

http://freetextbox.com/
http://www.richtextbox.com/
http://www.deloittes.net/products/richtextbox/

etc. A Google search will reveal more choices...

--

Scott Mitchell
(e-mail address removed)

Scott M.

Thanks, but I am not looking for a 3rd party solution. I'd like to know how
to accomplish this with the native elements of VS .NET & the MS RichTextBox
Control.

Can you offer an suggestions as to what I can do?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Scott,

As for your problem, here are some of my suggestions:
1. I also think Scott Mitchell's suggestion that use a
browser-based(generated via dhtml and javascript) RichTextBox is better for
us because it won't need client side to adjust any security trust level
setting. If we embed a ActiveX or Winform Control in page, it'll need the
clientside to allow the certain code to execute in Browser env.
Below is another

I think the "FreeTextBox" control is considerable since its open source
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freetextbox/

2. If you do want to use the richclient controls, I think there're two
means to chose:

1) Directory use ActiveX Control in web page
That's waht you do and since activex control is COM component, we need the
client machine also install it.

2) In .net we can embed Winform Custom Control in a IE host web page so
that let the winform control run at the client side IE's CLR enviroment.
But that'll need the client to have .net framework installed. Also, if you
use a Winform control to wrapper an ACtiveX control and want to host the
winform control in IE, you have to make sure the client also installed the
ACTIVEX component. Here are some certain tech articles on using embeded
winform controls in IE:

#Simple way to expose a .NET WinForm control as an ActiveX control in any
HTML page
http://www.codeproject.com/cs/miscctrl/htmlwincontrol.asp

Host Secure, Lightweight Client-Side Controls in Microsoft Internet Explorer
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/01/UserCtrl/default.aspx

Embedded Windows User Controls into Internet Explorer
http://www.devhood.com/tutorials/tutorial_details.aspx?tutorial_id=187&print
er=t

Code Access Security and Distribution Features in .NET enhance Client-Side
Apps
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/06/rich/default.aspx

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Scott,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got any further ideas on this issue? If you have anything unclear or if
there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.