Unique ID for CD or DVD

Hoang

Does anyone know of an existing algorithm/module for generating a unique ID
for a given CD or DVD? This would be something akin to CDDB where a CD is
recognized based on its content. I could be wrong, but I think CDDB is just
based on file size or disk size and this alone is not unique enough. If the
solution is in Python, all the better.

Hoang Do
http://jotsite.com

Jarek Zgoda

Hoang said:
Does anyone know of an existing algorithm/module for generating a unique ID
for a given CD or DVD? This would be something akin to CDDB where a CD is
recognized based on its content. I could be wrong, but I think CDDB is just
based on file size or disk size and this alone is not unique enough. If the
solution is in Python, all the better.

I'm pretty sure I saw Python interface for freedb.

Python Baby

Does anyone know of an existing algorithm/module for generating a unique ID
for a given CD or DVD? This would be something akin to CDDB where a CD is
recognized based on its content.

There are a few different ways to get a unique ID from an audio CD.
Gracenote/CDDB does it one way. FreeDB does it another way. MusicBrainz does it another.

Sorry, it's in C not Python, but the author of MusicBrainz wrote us a good
tool that we use in our CD store, to generate the unique ID of a CD in the drive.
It generates many different fingerprints for the CD in the drive, for you to
pick and choose whichever one you want to use:

http://hitmedia.com/idgen.tgz

(NOTE: that URL won't work forever. I just put it up there right now since you asked.)

Hoang

thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have decided to use MD5 since it is
included as a module with Python. Finding a unique string from the CD won't
be that hard and makes the approach more straight forward than any other
method. Using MD5 makes it less proprietary than it needs to be.

Hoang Do
http://jotsite.com

Josiah Carlson

Hoang said:
thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have decided to use MD5 since it is
included as a module with Python. Finding a unique string from the CD won't
be that hard and makes the approach more straight forward than any other
method. Using MD5 makes it less proprietary than it needs to be.

Hoang Do
http://jotsite.com

Using md5 on what? The track lengths, filenames, raw data on the disk?

- Josiah