untypical question - js menu

K.

Hello!

I have been reading a book about "Positioning in web search engines".
There was written such sentences: "Menu built up in javascript code is not
so familiar for
some search web browser robots, which should visit links to URLs (subpages
on your page), but
in some cases they do not visit links placed in javascript menus. That`s why
not all subpages on your web page are indexed up and that`s why it is more
possibility to reach your page by unknown user which searches web pages on
the web search browsers".
Could you give me how to make menu which is good and familiar for robots? Is
it possible to build a menu not using javascript or could you give me the
examples of such menus which are familiar for 100% for search robots to be
sure that all subpages will be indexed by search robots?

Kindest regards
M.

Stevo

K. said:
Could you give me how to make menu which is good and familiar for robots? Is
it possible to build a menu not using javascript or could you give me the
examples of such menus which are familiar for 100% for search robots to be
sure that all subpages will be indexed by search robots?

I don't know if it would be possible to do what you want, I can't think
how, but I do have an alternate solution that achieves the same result.
Make a DIV that has width and height of zero, and overflow:hidden, and
put a COPY of all the links inside it. The search robots would likely
follow all the links even though the user will never see them. It feels
like a hack, but unless there's a better suggestion...

K.

Uzytkownik "Stevo said:
I don't know if it would be possible to do what you want, I can't think
how, but I do have an alternate solution that achieves the same result.
Make a DIV that has width and height of zero, and overflow:hidden, and put
a COPY of all the links inside it. The search robots would likely follow
all the links even though the user will never see them. It feels like a
hack, but unless there's a better suggestion...

Thank you for help and solution.
Marcin

Erwin Moller

Stevo said:
I don't know if it would be possible to do what you want, I can't think
how, but I do have an alternate solution that achieves the same result.
Make a DIV that has width and height of zero, and overflow:hidden, and
put a COPY of all the links inside it. The search robots would likely
follow all the links even though the user will never see them. It feels
like a hack, but unless there's a better suggestion...

Good hack I say. :)

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Erwin said:
Good hack I say. :)

It is bad advice. If client-side scripting is not present or is disabled,
the user will not be able to navigate, and if CSS support is not present or
is disabled, the user might see links that do not work (they won't if there
is also no script support present or enabled, and they are only
script-based). It is also not unlikely that a search engine recognizes
content formatted as such as an attempt to trick the indexer (e.g. Google
recognizes white text on white background), and will therefore ignore the
content or blacklist the site.

How a menu is properly done that degrades gracefully and therefore works
fine with with CSS and DHTML Behaviors instead is described on several
tutorial Web sites. Apart from DHTML Behaviors required only for and
supported only by MSHTML (IE), that solution is off-topic here.

PointedEars