Upgrade to asp.net 2, controls declared in base pages

Guest

I have upgraded an application from asp.net 1.1 to asp.net 2 (VS 2005). The
problem with this is I had a number of declared controls in base pages. In
the base pages I use the events of the controls and also override functions
that interact with these controls. It sounds a little complicated but works
very well.

My problem is I can't seem to do this in asp.net 2 because it uses partial
classes for the control declaration and won't let you do this.

I have two possible thoughts on how to overcome this.

1. Is there a way to switch the old code behind model back on? i.e. no
partial classes.
2. Using master pages. However with this solution I need to override some
of the functions defined in my master page. I don't think this will work
tho' as the content page does not inherit from the master page (if I've got
this correct here). So unless there is another way round this I'm a bit
stuck on this one.

If anyone can help I'd be more than grateful as I'm quite stuck with this
solution at the moment and a way round it has become an urgent matter (ie p45
in post etc).

thanks