upload file contents to SQL

Guest

Currently I have a asp.net 1.1 web page that uploads text file contents into
SQL. it reads the files line by line and then inserts the data. I want to
convert this web into 05. I was wondering if there is anything easier in 05
to upload files contents into SQL 05?

Do I still have to read the file line by line and parse out the line like
(string.SubString(4,10)) to get the value needed or is there an easier way?
I have 35 files that are different formatting and I have load all of them
into SQL via a web page

kbutterly

I found your question interesting and I figured that there had to be a
way to get to the sql server dts functionality. I found the following
article:

http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=19595

What you want to do can best be done by creating a dts package and the
article tells you how to create a job on the fly that will run the dts
package.

Try googling DTS package and asp.net together and see what else you
find.

Good luck
Kathryn

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

From your post, I understand that you're planning to upgrade your web site
to .NET 2.0.

# What's New in ASP.NET
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fa1h9d0d.aspx

Also, you're extracting data from text file and inserting into sqlserver. I
don't think this is ASP.NET-particular. Though the new FileUpload control
may help you in the uploading process:

# FileUpload Class
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.fileuploa
d.aspx

Regarding the file parsing part, I think this remains the same as in 1.1.

I also agree with Kathryn that you may want to check out sqlserver's DTS
function to import data from text files.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Guest

I agree a DTS package would most likely work like we want it to BUT, the "DB"
person, wants all the text file parsing done from the web page

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Thanks for the update.

If you have questions regarding your code of text file parsing, please feel
free to post here or create a new post in other related dotnet newsgroups.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support