Use of connection pooling?

Guest

dear all,

i have an application which could have more than 150 users, I have set it up
to use windows integrated authentification.

What I have to do to be sure that my application will use connection pooling ?

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN [MCSD.NET]

just use performance monitor to watch pooled sql connections...

--
HTH

Thanks,
Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN
BSc, MCSD.NET

Guest

Not to muth just make sure you use a single connection string.
If you want authentication towards your database use sspi=true or interated
authentication=true (These are the same)

The rest is done by the platform.

Bye,

Scott Allen

It depends on "who" establishes the connection.

If you have impersonation enabled (<identity impersonate="true"/>),
and your connections to the database use integrated security, you'll
have one connection pool per user.

If you are not impersonating, or if you use a SQL login and password,
you'll still have a single connection pool for the application
(assuming the connections meet the other pooling criteria).

Guest

Hi scott

You said :
"If you have impersonation enabled (<identity impersonate="true"/>),
and your connections to the database use integrated security, you'll
have one connection pool per user."
=================================

Does it works similar as if you create a user account for each of them ?
In this case I have read than performance is decrease and its better to use
one single connection string

When connection pooling is prefered then ?

regards
serge

Scott Allen

Does it works similar as if you create a user account for each of them ?
In this case I have read than performance is decrease and its better to use
one single connection string

Yes. The connection pooling can only pool connections that use the
same security context.
When connection pooling is prefered then ?

Generally for performance, a single pool will work better, but you
might have requirements that override performance. For instance, you
might have security requirements or auditing requirements that force
you to log a user into the database with their own identity.

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN [MCSD.NET]

At last, my advice u to setup distinct user accounts for every C-R-U-D
operation. For instance, when u are reading data, u should connect db via a
user who is only datareader, etc.. In this circumstance, you will have four
different connection strings.. And u can easily monitor load on any
operation by using your own custom performance counters. And u can monitor
sql server pooling by using performance monitor using .NET CLR Data
performance object.

--
HTH

Thanks,