Using Simple MAPI with MS Outlook 2007

tomer.ha

Hi there,

I'd like to send emails from a Python program using Simple MAPI. I've
tried this code: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-December/298066.html
and it works well with Outlook Express 6 and Thunderbird 1.5, but it
doens't work at all with Microsoft Outlook 2007. I keep getting this
message: "WindowsError: MAPI error 2".

I don't want to use Extended MAPI because it doesn't support
thunderbird not OE. Therefore, Simple MAPI is the only option for me.

So, what did I miss here?

Lenard Lindstrom

Hi there,

I'd like to send emails from a Python program using Simple MAPI. I've
tried this code: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-December/298066.html
and it works well with Outlook Express 6 and Thunderbird 1.5, but it
doens't work at all with Microsoft Outlook 2007. I keep getting this
message: "WindowsError: MAPI error 2".

I don't want to use Extended MAPI because it doesn't support
thunderbird not OE. Therefore, Simple MAPI is the only option for me.

So, what did I miss here?

From - Sun

Error code 2 error translates to:

"MAPI_E_FAILURE
One or more unspecified errors occurred. No message was sent. "

, rather vague. I haven't used Simple MAPI with Outlook, but did a quick
google search. I found that there is a security feature that may effect
access to Outlook. I have included a few links on the chance that this
is the cause of the problem.

Outlook Email Security Update:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm

Outlook security block & Simple MAPI:

http://help.lockergnome.com/office/Outlook-security-block-Simple-Mapi-ftopict946357.html

Customize programmatic settings in Outlook 2007:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Offic...e197-4dd3-9417-5ed513891af11033.mspx?mfr=true

The google search also uncovered a memory issues with Simple MAPI and
Outlook:

http://blogs.msdn.com/stephen_griffin/archive/2006/11/03/the-intentional-memory-leak.aspx

Hope this helps,

Lenard Lindstrom