Using Yahoo UI and Prototype

KishoreSainath

Hi All,

I would like to know whether we can use Yahoo UI Library and Prototype
in the same application/page.

Has anybody experienced problems in using these libraries in the same
page?

I welcome feedback from folks who have used YUI and prototype together.

Thanks in advance
- Kishore

Peter Michaux

KishoreSainath said:
I would like to know whether we can use Yahoo UI Library and Prototype
in the same application/page.

Prototype augments built in prototypes but Yahoo! UI is a namespaced
library so it keeps to itself. The newer releases of Prototype do not
augment Object.prototype so with these new releases you can probably
use the two together. However this would mean a lot of duplication if
you are including many of the Yahoo! UI libraries. Is your goal to
switch from Prototype to Yahoo! UI? Or is your goal to use the two
together indefinitely?

Peter

KishoreSainath

My plan is to use both these libraries indefinitely in my application.

I am basically writing a Rails application and hence am using Prototype
and Scriptaculous.
But I plan to use YUI and YUI-ext extensively in the application as I
wish to use some of their features.

Though I have seen a few examples where YUI was used successfully in a
Rails application, these are just examples.

Peter Michaux

[posting order restored]
KishoreSainath said:
My plan is to use both these libraries indefinitely in my application.

I think this will be painfully slow duplication for users of your site
with slow connections and may cause you grief using two big libraries.

I am basically writing a Rails application and hence am using Prototype
and Scriptaculous.

Just because you are using Rails doesn't mean you need to use Prototype
and Scriptaculous. I don't and have a new project to help others avoid
Prototype/Scriptaculous in favor of a library more like YUI but built
for use with or without Rails. If you want to wrap some of the YUI libs
in Rails helpers in a plugin you may get some helpful hints from my
But I plan to use YUI and YUI-ext extensively in the application as I
wish to use some of their features.

Though I have seen a few examples where YUI was used successfully in a
Rails application, these are just examples.

I can't think of any reasons why YUI wouldn't work with a Rails site.
Rails is the server-side and the JavaScript is the client side. The
JavaScript really only needs to have a few Ajax tricks for the way
Rails likes to do Ajax and RJS.

Peter