VB6 to C++ 6

Lindsay

I've decided to move on to C++. Up to now, I've been using VB6 but have
found limits, one of which is the ability to create true DLLs. Also, I tend
to use APIs a lot, so I may be more at home with C++. I've had a look at
some sample code on various subjects to get an idea of what I'm letting
myself in for. I've just purchased Visual Studio 6 so I will have all the
help files, but aside from this NG, is there any good places (not books 'cos
I hate reading 'em) on the internet or other NGs I can use for
example/help/documentation etc?

Victor Bazarov

Lindsay said:
I've decided to move on to C++. Up to now, I've been using VB6 but have
found limits, one of which is the ability to create true DLLs. Also, I tend
to use APIs a lot, so I may be more at home with C++. I've had a look at
some sample code on various subjects to get an idea of what I'm letting
myself in for. I've just purchased Visual Studio 6 so I will have all the
help files, but aside from this NG, is there any good places (not books 'cos
I hate reading 'em) on the internet or other NGs I can use for
example/help/documentation etc?

Start with 'comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.*' and 'microsoft.public.*'
hierarchies of newsgroups. I bet you will find more information there.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/ is also useful for VS users.

Haro Panosyan

I think "Microsoft Support Site for developers" is very helpfull.
Long time ago I was doing similar things like you are describing bellow,
and I was always amazed about all info I could find on MS web pages for
developers.

Visual Studio HELP files are quite nice too.

Haro Panosyan

Forgot to tell you about VC++ examples as well. In many cases you will
find helpfull examples in installation directory.
(It's been long time I am not using VC++, because now I am on UNIX.)
-haro

Lindsay

Ah, UNIX. Perhaps the next step in programming for me. Until then, I'll
stick to C++. So I should need then is MSDN. Thanks for your input.

Jaap Versteegh

Ah, UNIX. Perhaps the next step in programming for me. Until then, I'll
stick to C++. So I should need then is MSDN. Thanks for your input.
You mean you'll stick to Windoze ?
I believe there is such a thing as C++ on *NIX ;)

MSDN is indeed very useful for VC++.

Jaap