viewstate

dsoltesz

I have a custom web control and i'm using viewstate for some properites. I
add the control to a page, set some properties and then try to render those
property values from viewstate to the page but I always get nothing and 0
as whats being rendered..any ideas why viewstate is not return anything
even though i'm setting the properties?
thanks

Code for Control --------------------------------

Imports System.ComponentModel
Imports System.Web.UI

Public Class EditAddSteps
Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl

Public Sub New()
Me.EnableViewState = True
End Sub

Public Property ProjectName() As String
Get
Return CType(ViewState("ProjectName"), String)
End Get
Set(ByVal Value As String)
ViewState("ProjectName") = Value
End Set
End Property

Public Property ListID() As Integer
Get
Return CType(ViewState("ListID"), Integer)
End Get
Set(ByVal Value As Integer)
ViewState("ListID") = Value
End Set
End Property

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
End Sub

Protected Overrides Sub Render(ByVal writer As
System.Web.UI.HtmlTextWriter)
writer.Write("<project_name=" & Me.ProjectName & ">" & Me.ListID
& "</font>")

End Sub
End Class

----------------

code on aspx page -----------------

Protected editaddstep1 As New EditAddSteps

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
If Not IsPostBack Then
editaddstep1.ProjectName = "PFR"
editaddstep1.ListID = 1
End If

End Sub

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

if you have the control on page declaratively, you don't need to 'New' it on
code-behind (in fact you shouldn't because original reference to the control
on aspx is lost)

Protected editaddstep1 As New EditAddSteps

e.g if you have the control declaratively on page remove 'New' from the
code-behind member. But of course if you create it in code and add to
Controls collection manually in code as well, then it is different case.