webbrowser.open works in IDLE and cmd shell but not from cygwin prompt

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gregory Bloom, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. I'm running Python 2.5 under Windows. If I fire up IDLE and enter:

    it works like a champ, opening the page in Firefox. Same thing goes
    from a Windows cmd shell: it works as advertised.

    But if I open a cygwin bash shell and try the same thing from a python
    prompt, I get:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "C:\Python25\lib\webbrowser.py", line 60, in open_new
    return open(url, 1)
    File "C:\Python25\lib\webbrowser.py", line 55, in open
    if browser.open(url, new, autoraise):
    File "C:\Python25\lib\webbrowser.py", line 185, in open
    p = subprocess.Popen(cmdline, close_fds=True, preexec_fn=setsid)
    File "C:\Python25\lib\subprocess.py", line 551, in __init__
    raise ValueError("close_fds is not supported on Windows "
    ValueError: close_fds is not supported on Windows platforms

    What's up with that? And, more to the point, how can I use webbrowser
    from scripts launched under cygwin?

    Gregory Bloom, Apr 27, 2007

  2. Gregory Bloom

    Paddy Guest

    I have X and kde for cygwin installed.
    If i use startxwin to start an xterm, without starting kde, and do
    the
    above in cygwins python version 2.4.3 i have to wait around 3 minutes
    then up pops konqueror at the requested page.

    - Paddy.

    Paddy, Apr 27, 2007

  3. It's not a Cygwin issue, really. This occurs when one of ["firefox",
    "firebird", "seamonkey", "mozilla", "netscape", "opera"] is in your
    path. Your Cygwin environment must be set so one of these is in your
    path when it isn't normally.

    You should also submit a bug.
    If you're using native Windows Python as you seem to be, try
    webbrowser.get("windows-default").open_new(url)

    If you want to use Cygwin Python instead, I submitted a patch more than
    1.5 years ago to allow it, but it hasn't been reviewed:

    http://python.org/sf/1244861

    Michael Hoffman, Apr 27, 2007

  4. Awesome! That works perfectly. Thanks.

    Gregory Bloom, Apr 27, 2007
  5. Gregory Bloom

    Steve Holden Guest

    Interestingly when I tried this under Cygwin I got the links browser
    displaying the material from the given URL.

    That's different enough that I might keep it like that.:)

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Apr 28, 2007