What's with -F in 1.8?

Jason Creighton

Hello,

/usr/src/ruby-1.6.8$ ./ruby -v
ruby 1.6.8 (2002-12-24) [i686-linux]
/usr/src/ruby-1.6.8$ ./ruby -F'[aeiou]+' -wane 'p $F'
Hello, this is just a little test. Don't panic.
["H", "ll", ", th", "s ", "s j", "st ", " l", "ttl", " t", "st. D", "n't p", "n", "c.\n"]
-e:1: Interrupt
/usr/src/ruby-1.6.8$ /usr/bin/ruby -v
ruby 1.8.0 (2003-07-24) [i686-linux]
/usr/src/ruby-1.6.8$ /usr/bin/ruby -F'[aeiou]+' -wane 'p $F'
Hello, this is just a little test. Don't panic.
-e:1: warning: string pattern instead of regexp; metacharacters no longer effective
["Hello, this is just a little test. Don't panic.\n"]
I think it wants to split on a literal [aeiou]+, right?
-e:1: warning: string pattern instead of regexp; metacharacters no longer effective
["I think it wants to split on a literal ", ", right?\n"]

What gives? Why don't Ruby 1.8 use a regex with -F?

Jason Creighton

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "delay release of 1.8.0 (was: Re: What's with -F in 1.8?)"

|I've been using the 1.8.0 snapshots for many months and I'm very pleased
|with the new version. However, the last couple of preview releases have
|had serious problems. Tk stopped working, command-line options broke and
|a few other serious bugs have been found.

If you mean '-F' by "broken command line", it has been stayed there
for months (since a year ago).

I think Tk maintainer fixed Tk bug already.

|It strikes me that these are not the kind of bugs that should be
|coming to light with only a few days left until the official release.
|Small, obscure bugs that occur only in rare circumstances, yes, but not
|obvious, fundamental bugs that cause whole categories of programs to
|fail.

I understand your point. Due to recent changes, I postpone the release
date for a several days, but not weeks.

Here's my new roadmap.

2003-07-31 8am UTC preview6
2003-08-01 8am UTC preview7
2003-08-04 8am UTC the release

Can you help us, guys?

matz.

Harry Ohlsen

Yukihiro said:
Here's my new roadmap.

2003-07-31 8am UTC preview6
2003-08-01 8am UTC preview7
2003-08-04 8am UTC the release

Can you help us, guys?

Are there Windows binary versions of the 1.8.0 previews?

My current version (using the prag prog installer) is dated 2003-05-26. I'd love to try my code against the newer previews.

Harry O.

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: delay release of 1.8.0"

|Are there Windows binary versions of the 1.8.0 previews?
|
|My current version (using the prag prog installer) is dated 2003-05-26. I'd love to try my code against the newer previews.

See <http://www.dm4lab.to/~usa/ruby/index_en.html>. There's compiled
preview5. Try not to tease bandwidth, please.

matz.