Why do I get this error?

Guest

When running this code from VS.NET i get this error page which highlights the
first line of the If statement and says it needs a ; at the end of it, tried
that but doesnt fix the problem. As you can tell I'm a newbie so be gentle :)
..

Compiler Error Message: CS1002: ; expected

void btnSingIn_Click(Object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
// Add user authentication logic here
If (txtUserId.Text.Length >= 4 && txtPassword.Text.Length >= 4 &&
txtUserId.Text.StartsWith("J"))
{
lblResult.Text = "Valid User!";
}
else
{
lblResult.Text = "Valid User!";

void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
// Put user code to initialise the page here
lblResult.Text = "Page refreshed at: " + DateTime.Now;

Victor Garcia Aprea [MVP]

Hi Ken,

It doesn't look like the posted code has anything wrong. Do you have some
code inlined into the .aspx file also? You're getting the compilation error
when trying to browse the page right? and not when building inside VS.NET?

--
Victor Garcia Aprea
Microsoft MVP | ASP.NET

Ryan Walberg, MCSD for .NET

ken.r said:
When running this code from VS.NET i get this error page which highlights the
first line of the If statement and says it needs a ; at the end of it, tried
that but doesnt fix the problem. As you can tell I'm a newbie so be gentle :)
.

The problem is your "If" statement. It should be "if" (lowercase). It
thinks you wrote a function called If().

Ryan Walberg, MCSD for .NET

Victor said:
Hi Ken,

It doesn't look like the posted code has anything wrong. Do you have some
code inlined into the .aspx file also? You're getting the compilation error
when trying to browse the page right? and not when building inside VS.NET?

Sure there is. He's writing "If" instead of "if".