Why does this compile?

woodbrian77

I've taken the following from a function. The function compiles
using both g++ 4.8 and VC++ 11.

std::vector<std::string*> rep20;
uint32_t elements = buf.Give<uint32_t>();
rep20.reserve(elements);
for (; elements > 0; --elements) {
rep20.push_back(buf.stringGive());
}

stringGive has this signature:
::std::string stringGive ();

I'd expect an error or warning so am wondering what's up
with this. (This code is part of my test code and not
something I'm using in an application.) Tia.

Shalom,
Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net

woodbrian77

I've taken that from a function template and I'm
not calling an instance of the function. Still I
thought this would be caught.

Ian Collins

I've taken the following from a function. The function compiles
using both g++ 4.8 and VC++ 11.

std::vector<std::string*> rep20;
uint32_t elements = buf.Give<uint32_t>();
rep20.reserve(elements);
for (; elements> 0; --elements) {
rep20.push_back(buf.stringGive());
}

stringGive has this signature:
::std::string stringGive ();

Show the full declaration. If what you say is true, it shouldn't compile.

Bo Persson

(e-mail address removed) skrev 2012-06-21 04:57:
I've taken that from a function template and I'm
not calling an instance of the function. Still I
thought this would be caught.

If the template is never instantiated, the compiler is not allowed to
complain, unless the code cannot be correct for ANY type.

Bo Persson