Why Tcl/Tk?

Jerry He

I'm a little curious, why does most scripting
languges(i.e. python and ruby) use Tcl/Tk rather than
wx or Fox as its standard GUI? Although I did notice
that the Vpython IDE that uses Tkinker starts up a lot
faster than the DrPython IDE that uses wxpython. But
that makes no sense, Tk is based on Tcl, a scripting
language, but wx is written in C++.

http://mail.yahoo.com

William Park

Jerry He said:
I'm a little curious, why does most scripting
languges(i.e. python and ruby) use Tcl/Tk rather than
wx or Fox as its standard GUI? Although I did notice
that the Vpython IDE that uses Tkinker starts up a lot
faster than the DrPython IDE that uses wxpython. But
that makes no sense, Tk is based on Tcl, a scripting
language, but wx is written in C++.

Old habits die hard. Soon, these folks will die off, and we'll be left
with GTK+ or wxWidgets.

--
William Park <[email protected]>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell

mustafa

William said:
Old habits die hard. Soon, these folks will die off, and we'll be left
with GTK+ or wxWidgets.
i would not count on it.
i have benn trying to learn GUI programming for the last week or so.
i have found pyGTK way less user freindly and lacking in good tutorials
then Tkinter. i have already done ion Tkinter in 0.5 day what i could
not in pyGTK in 2 or 3.
now i admit i did not understand pygtk docs but thats a serious problem.

Thomas Bartkus

William Park said:
Old habits die hard. Soon, these folks will die off, and we'll be left
with GTK+ or wxWidgets.

Ahhh! That devilish little "or"

If we only knew which one :)
Thomas Bartkus

Michael P. Soulier

Old habits die hard. Soon, these folks will die off, and we'll be left
with GTK+ or wxWidgets.

Not to mention dependency hell. Until wxPython is bundled with Python, it's a
PITA to set it up on multiple boxes of different architectures and get all of
the versions right. Java does this better.

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <[email protected]>
"Those who would give up esential liberty for temporary safety deserve

William Park

Thomas Bartkus said:
Ahhh! That devilish little "or"

If we only knew which one :)
Thomas Bartkus

If you're C, then GTK+. If you're C++, then wxWidgets. Since I do C
mostly, I looked into GTK+ (actually, stared at the doc for 2 weeks and
absorbed what I can through osmosis) and decided to include GTK+
interface into Bash shell. Here is the result:
http://home.eol.ca/~parkw/index.html#gtk