working pylint anyone?

Diez B. Roggisch

Hi,

until yesterday I was a happy user of pylint. Then I upgraded to ubuntu
hardy heron - and the trouble began.

The packaged version of pylint (0.13.2) fails with this error (last line):

logilab.common.configuration.UnsupportedAction: callback

The same error happens if I use

easy_install-2.5
http://release.ingeniweb.com/third-party-dist/logilab.installer-0.1.tgz

as found on the net. Using easy_install pylint misses logilab-common &
astng, installing these additionally (easy_install) creates two eggs - but
unfortunately, the don't actually create a namespace-package logilab,
instead either one of them is picked up depending on installation order.

Then I tried the source releases - no luck either, either they produce the
same error or something similar.

I tried looking into the MLs - the last posts are from around 2006, so I
refrained from actually subscribing.

So - anybody out here having an actually working pylint config and can tell
me what versions work together? I've become pretty dependend on it to be
honest...

Diez

Stefan Rank

on 31.07.2008 11:29 Diez B. Roggisch said the following:
The packaged version of pylint (0.13.2) fails with this error (last line):
So - anybody out here having an actually working pylint config and can tell
me what versions work together? I've become pretty dependend on it to be
honest...

Three installations of pylint 0.14.0 that I have access to from here:

pylint.bat 0.14.0,
astng 0.17.2, common 0.27.0
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

pylint 0.14.0,
astng 0.17.2, common 0.31.0
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jul 23 2008, 00:17:15)
[GCC 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2 p1.0.2)]

pylint 0.14.0,
astng 0.17.2, common 0.27.0
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jul 11 2007, 15:07:18)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)]

All of them installed using good old setup.py (times 3).
easy_install does not work as you noted.

Hope that helps.
cheers,
stefan

alexandre.Fayolle

Hi,

until yesterday I was a happy user of pylint. Then I upgraded to ubuntu
hardy heron - and the trouble began.

The packaged version of pylint (0.13.2) fails with this error (last line):

logilab.common.configuration.UnsupportedAction: callback

This is a bug in the pylint package in Ubuntu, which has a wrong
versioned
dependency on python-logilab-common. You should report this bug to
ubuntu
using the reportbug command.

Which version of python-logilab-common and python-logilab-astng are
installed on your machine ?
The same error happens if I use

easy_install-2.5http://release.ingeniweb.com/third-party-dist/logilab.installer-0.1.tgz

as found on the net. Using easy_install pylint misses logilab-common &
astng, installing these additionally (easy_install) creates two eggs - but
unfortunately, the don't actually create a namespace-package logilab,
instead either one of them is picked up depending on installation order.

Then I tried the source releases - no luck either, either they produce the
same error or something similar.

You are probably picking up the system installation of logilab-common
when you
do this.
I tried looking into the MLs - the last posts are from around 2006, so I
refrained from actually subscribing.

I don't know where you checked, but there is some traffic on the
mailing list,
and questions generally get answered :)

(http://lists.logilab.org/pipermail/python-projects/ is the correct
place)
So - anybody out here having an actually working pylint config and can tell
me what versions work together? I've become pretty dependend on it to be
honest...

pylint 0.14.0 should work fine with logilab-common 0.33.0 and astng
0.17.2

Our Debian packages state that it should even work with logilab-common
and astng >= 0.17.1 (although to be perfectly honnest, I'm not sure
that we have
tested pylint with logilab-common 0.22.0, so we could be the ones who
introduced
the bug in the Ubuntu package).

Hope this helps,

Diez B. Roggisch

Stefan said:
[...]

Thanks, that helped. I got the same errors - but these are because of custom
init-hooks I created. Now I need to debug these.. thanks!

Diez

Diez B. Roggisch

Which version of python-logilab-common and python-logilab-astng are
installed on your machine ?

By now, pylint 0.14 with logilab.common 0.27 and astng 0.17.2

I was able to track down the problem as being related to a custom init-hook.

See the attached .pylintrc + hook. They don't actually *do* anything (or,
the hook that is), but confuse pylint to spit out the reported error. Maybe
you can track down the real reason for the error?
I don't know where you checked, but there is some traffic on the
mailing list,
and questions generally get answered :)

On the website, I found this link:

through the search.

Diez

Mike Driscoll

[...]

For future reference, I found this installer package helpful in
getting PyLint and its dependencies to all install correctly:

http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/pylint-installation-made-easier/
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/logilab.pylintinstaller

I used it on Windows, but it should (theoretically) work on Linux just
as well.

Mike

alexandre.Fayolle

By now, pylint 0.14 with logilab.common 0.27 and astng 0.17.2

I was able to track down the problem as being related to a custom init-hook.

See the attached .pylintrc + hook. They don't actually *do* anything (or,
the hook that is), but confuse pylint to spit out the reported error. Maybe
you can track down the real reason for the error?

Congratulation ! you've found a pylint bug (or more likely a logilab-
common bug
in our wrapper of optparse/optik) :-/

I have added it to our tracker (http://www.logilab.org/ticket/5677)
and it
should be fixed in the next release of pylint or logilab-common.
On the website, I found this link:

through the search.

Ouch, this is actually a nasty bug on our site. I'm going to see what
I can do about it. In the meantime, you may consider subscribing
directly from http://lists.logilab.org/mailman/listinfo/python-projects