XML??

Sam

Hi ...

'Scuse me if this is wrong newsgroup to post this question in. I am
trying to learn to make a website. Three weeks ago I didn't know what HTML
was, and I had never heard of CSS or CGI or XML or any other acronyms. I
found a site with an HTML tutorial simple enough for even dumb people like
me: http://www.webdiner.com/webadv/index.htm

Now I've got XML Bible by Elliotte Rusty Harold. I've been able to
follow it so far, to chapter 5, but I can't figure how to make an XML file
work with with a XSL stylesheet. This is the code he gives:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet Type="Text/xsl" Href="5-2.xsl"?>

I always get message, `The system cannot locate the resource specified.
Error processing resource `file:///C:/My Documents/Web/Practice/5-2.xsl'.

Obviously, it CAN locate the file, since it gets the path right.

However, it gets even stranger. If I substitute my own XSL file like
this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet Type="Text/xsl" Href="BBStat.xsl"?>

The error message is different. Now it's, `keyword:xsl StyleSheet may not
be used here.'

Anybody have any idea what is wrong??

Thanks,

Sam

Much as modern mass production requires the standardization of commodities,
so the social process requires the standardization of people. This
standardization is called equality.

Disco Octopus

Sam said:
[...]

Just at a glance I cant see any problems with what you are doing... but I
think XML is case sensitive. Try "href" instead of "Href".

I could also be the program that is doing the xmltransform. I know there
was a bug in a java transformer that got confued with file locations on
local drives. try to put your testing stuf under a web server, and locate
the file using something like href=http://mymachine/5-2.xsl.

Sam

Disco Octopus said:
Just at a glance I cant see any problems with what you are doing... but I
think XML is case sensitive. Try "href" instead of "Href".

I could also be the program that is doing the xmltransform. I know there
was a bug in a java transformer that got confued with file locations on
local drives. try to put your testing stuf under a web server, and locate
the file using something like href=http://mymachine/5-2.xsl.

Problem wasn't that code, it was code in the XSL file:

<xsl:StyleSheet version="1.0"

The word `stylesheet' has to be all lower case.

Andy Dingley

Anybody have any idea what is wrong??

1. It can't find it. Don't know why.

2. It can find it, and it's processing it. But it doesn't like it.

Without seeing your stylesheet I can't say much more. XML is
case-sensitive though, so that's likely to be one problem. You need to
watch those details.

BTW - try future questions in comp.text.xml