XMLRPC client on a PDA?

gregarican

I am trying to get Ruby's XMLRPC client library working on the wince
version of Ruby 1.8.1 I have installed on a Dell Axim x50. I have
created a very basic client/server routine. Something like:

Win2K server
------------
require 'xmlrpc/server'

s = XMLRPC::Server.new(port=8888, host="server_box")
s.add_handler("foo") do
return "bar"
end

Dell Axim client
----------------
require 'xmlrpc/client'
c=XMLRPC::Client.new("server_box", "/RPC2", 8888)
results = c.call("foo")
p results

When I try this simple example out the PDA client returns a
wince::strerror at the line where results=c.call("foo") is passed to
the intepreter. Therefore the results fail to print to the console.

Any ideas what's going on? I have checked around the Internet and can't
get much of a handle on this scenario.

James Britt

gregarican said:
I am trying to get Ruby's XMLRPC client library working on the wince
version of Ruby 1.8.1 I have installed on a Dell Axim x50. I have
created a very basic client/server routine. Something like:

<snip />

Does this code work using a more conventional client?

Have you tried it on a Windows PC?

James

gregarican

James said:
Does this code work using a more conventional client?

Have you tried it on a Windows PC?

James

Yep. I have a GUI app that uses Ruby XMLRPC that I have running on
Windows 2000/XP as well as on Embedded Linux (in this case a Sharp
Zaurus SL-5500 PDA). For some reason I think my Ruby binary install
(version 1.8.1 for Pocket PC ARM processors) is missing something.
Simple Drb scripts, XMLRPC scripts, etc. pasted from tutorial websites
all error out on the Dell Axim handheld I'm working on.

I have ordered Microsoft Extended Visual C++ 4.0 on CD and when I get
it I will try to compile Ruby from source code on the Dell Axim. That
should give me a clean starting point for trying to port my application
over to the Windows Mobile platform. If I can get this completed then I
should have my bases covered. My app will run on Linux, Embedded Linux,
Windows, and Windows Mobile. We'll see how it goes...