    Can anyone help?

    Regards,

    John

    John, Mar 1, 2004

  2. John

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:59:37 +0100, "John" <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Hi people,

    G'day.

    > How can I make 1 link open 2 different pages in 2 seperate frames.

    You would have to link to a new frameset.

    A much better solution would be to ditch the frames.

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
    frames")

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Mar 2, 2004

  3. John

    mscir Guest

    mscir, Mar 2, 2004
  4. John

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:12:43 -0800, mscir <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > http://www.pageresource.com/html/frame4.htm

    Excellent! So not only do we use frames, with all the inherent problems
    they present, but we rely on Javascript, so for anyone with Javascript
    disabled/unavailable the result will be nothing at all.

    I wish people would stop trying to fix the wrong problem.

    Mark Parnell, Mar 2, 2004
  5. John

    mscir Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > mscir <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >>http://www.pageresource.com/html/frame4.htm

    > Excellent! So not only do we use frames, with all the inherent problems
    > they present, but we rely on Javascript, so for anyone with Javascript
    > disabled/unavailable the result will be nothing at all.
    >
    > I wish people would stop trying to fix the wrong problem.

    Just answering the question that was asked. I thought you gave him
    plenty of perspective - now he can make the choice he wants to make.
    Nobody's complaining about you expressing your opinion, is yours the
    only one allowed?

    mscir, Mar 2, 2004
  6. John

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:32:14 -0800, mscir <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Just answering the question that was asked.

    That's the problem right there. The OP was asking the wrong question in
    the first place.

    > I thought you gave him
    > plenty of perspective - now he can make the choice he wants to make.

    Of course.

    > Nobody's complaining about you expressing your opinion, is yours the
    > only one allowed?

    No, but a) I had no way of knowing you had already read my reply and b)
    given the use of Javascript on the page you suggested, I figured it was
    appropriate to point out that it wouldn't work for many people.

    Again, the OP is trying to fix the wrong problem in the first place.

    Mark Parnell, Mar 2, 2004
  7. John

    mscir Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > mscir <> declared
    >
    >>Just answering the question that was asked.

    > That's the problem right there. The OP was asking the wrong question in
    > the first place.
    >
    >>I thought you gave him
    >>plenty of perspective - now he can make the choice he wants to make.

    > Of course.
    >
    >>Nobody's complaining about you expressing your opinion, is yours the
    >>only one allowed?

    > No, but a) I had no way of knowing you had already read my reply and b)
    > given the use of Javascript on the page you suggested, I figured it was
    > appropriate to point out that it wouldn't work for many people.
    > Again, the OP is trying to fix the wrong problem in the first place.

    He's probably a lot more informed now than he was before reading your
    posts.

    Cheers,
    Mike

    mscir, Mar 2, 2004
  8. John

    Steve R. Guest

    John wrote in message ...
    > How can I make 1 link open 2 different pages in 2 seperate frames.

    Your very same question was answered some weeks ago, but it appears you did
    not come back to look at the replies and to say "Thanks".

    Are you expecting an answer by email, as if so we don't do it that way.

    Post on the group - reply on the group.

    Steve R., Mar 2, 2004
  9. John

    steven Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:32:14 -0800, mscir <>
    > declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Just answering the question that was asked.

    > That's the problem right there. The OP was asking the wrong question in
    > the first place.
    >
    > > I thought you gave him
    > > plenty of perspective - now he can make the choice he wants to make.

    > Of course.
    >
    > > Nobody's complaining about you expressing your opinion, is yours the
    > > only one allowed?

    > No, but a) I had no way of knowing you had already read my reply and b)
    > given the use of Javascript on the page you suggested, I figured it was
    > appropriate to point out that it wouldn't work for many people.

    Can you make an estimate of a percentage? Javascript is enabled by default
    in IE and Mozilla (and probably others as well) and "many people" would have
    no idea of its existance, let alone know how to disable it.
    I've seen a "back to previous page" link on zillions of pages and AFAIK they
    all use Javascript.
    I agree that frames are evil, but Javascript?

    Steven

    steven, Mar 2, 2004
  10. steven wrote:
    > "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message

    >> b) given the use of Javascript on the page you suggested, I figured
    >> it was appropriate to point out that it wouldn't work for many
    >> people.

    > Can you make an estimate of a percentage? Javascript is enabled by
    > default in IE and Mozilla (and probably others as well) and "many
    > people" would have no idea of its existance, let alone know how to
    > disable it. I've seen a "back to previous page" link on zillions of
    > pages and AFAIK they all use Javascript.
    > I agree that frames are evil, but Javascript?

    The figure often quoted is 15% - I've no idea whether there is any basis in
    fact. I can tell you that client script is disabled in IE on all
    workstations used by me, my family and my clients. I'm toying with the idea
    of putting a clause to that effect in my support contracts.

    --
    William Tasso

    William Tasso, Mar 2, 2004
  11. John

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:35:45 GMT, "steven" <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Can you make an estimate of a percentage? Javascript is enabled by default
    > in IE and Mozilla (and probably others as well) and "many people" would have
    > no idea of its existance, let alone know how to disable it.

    Unfortunately, no one knows. Most estimates range around 10-20%ish. But
    the fact that it _can_ be disabled means it can't be relied on.

    > I've seen a "back to previous page" link on zillions of pages and AFAIK they
    > all use Javascript.

    As if the browser didn't already have a back button. Just because there
    are millions of clueless deezyners out there doesn't mean you have to
    copy them. :)

    > I agree that frames are evil, but Javascript?

    Javascript isn't evil. It can be used for optional enhancements to the
    site but, as I said, it can't be relied on. Anyone using a text browser,
    speech browser, mobile phone/PDA (I think) doesn't even have the option
    of Javascript - it simply isn't available. Plus many companies disable
    Javascript (or block it) for security reasons.

    Mark Parnell, Mar 2, 2004