1 link to 2 frames

John

Hi people,

How can I make 1 link open 2 different pages in 2 seperate frames.

I read somewhere that it can be done.

Can anyone help?

Regards,

John

mscir

Mark said:
Excellent! So not only do we use frames, with all the inherent problems
they present, but we rely on Javascript, so for anyone with Javascript
disabled/unavailable the result will be nothing at all.

I wish people would stop trying to fix the wrong problem.

Just answering the question that was asked. I thought you gave him
plenty of perspective - now he can make the choice he wants to make.
Nobody's complaining about you expressing your opinion, is yours the
only one allowed?

Mark Parnell

Just answering the question that was asked.

That's the problem right there. The OP was asking the wrong question in
the first place.
I thought you gave him
plenty of perspective - now he can make the choice he wants to make.

Of course.
Nobody's complaining about you expressing your opinion, is yours the
only one allowed?

No, but a) I had no way of knowing you had already read my reply and b)
given the use of Javascript on the page you suggested, I figured it was
appropriate to point out that it wouldn't work for many people.

Again, the OP is trying to fix the wrong problem in the first place.

mscir

Mark said:
That's the problem right there. The OP was asking the wrong question in
the first place.

Of course.

No, but a) I had no way of knowing you had already read my reply and b)
given the use of Javascript on the page you suggested, I figured it was
appropriate to point out that it wouldn't work for many people.
Again, the OP is trying to fix the wrong problem in the first place.

He's probably a lot more informed now than he was before reading your
posts.

Cheers,
Mike

Steve R.

John wrote in message ...
How can I make 1 link open 2 different pages in 2 seperate frames.

Your very same question was answered some weeks ago, but it appears you did
not come back to look at the replies and to say "Thanks".

Are you expecting an answer by email, as if so we don't do it that way.

Post on the group - reply on the group.

steven

Mark Parnell said:
That's the problem right there. The OP was asking the wrong question in
the first place.

Of course.

No, but a) I had no way of knowing you had already read my reply and b)
given the use of Javascript on the page you suggested, I figured it was
appropriate to point out that it wouldn't work for many people.

Can you make an estimate of a percentage? Javascript is enabled by default
in IE and Mozilla (and probably others as well) and "many people" would have
no idea of its existance, let alone know how to disable it.
I've seen a "back to previous page" link on zillions of pages and AFAIK they
all use Javascript.
I agree that frames are evil, but Javascript?

Steven

William Tasso

steven said:
Can you make an estimate of a percentage? Javascript is enabled by
default in IE and Mozilla (and probably others as well) and "many
people" would have no idea of its existance, let alone know how to
disable it. I've seen a "back to previous page" link on zillions of
pages and AFAIK they all use Javascript.
I agree that frames are evil, but Javascript?

The figure often quoted is 15% - I've no idea whether there is any basis in
fact. I can tell you that client script is disabled in IE on all
workstations used by me, my family and my clients. I'm toying with the idea
of putting a clause to that effect in my support contracts.

Mark Parnell

Can you make an estimate of a percentage? Javascript is enabled by default
in IE and Mozilla (and probably others as well) and "many people" would have
no idea of its existance, let alone know how to disable it.

Unfortunately, no one knows. Most estimates range around 10-20%ish. But
the fact that it _can_ be disabled means it can't be relied on.
I've seen a "back to previous page" link on zillions of pages and AFAIK they
all use Javascript.

As if the browser didn't already have a back button. Just because there
are millions of clueless deezyners out there doesn't mean you have to
copy them. :)
I agree that frames are evil, but Javascript?

Javascript isn't evil. It can be used for optional enhancements to the
site but, as I said, it can't be relied on. Anyone using a text browser,
speech browser, mobile phone/PDA (I think) doesn't even have the option
of Javascript - it simply isn't available. Plus many companies disable
Javascript (or block it) for security reasons.