<i frames>

Helen

I'm looking at the frames way of doing a website as I've noticed a lot of
sites done this way now. Can anyone tell be exactly how you do it? I mean
how do you get all the pages to link in to each other?

Thanks for any help recieved.

Els

Helen said:
I'm looking at the frames way of doing a website as I've noticed a lot of
sites done this way now. Can anyone tell be exactly how you do it? I mean
how do you get all the pages to link in to each other?

The fact that you see a lot of sites in frames, doesn't mean this is
the most modern way. On the contrary, frames are out. Frames have
various disadvantages (google for 'frames are evil'), and it's best
not to start learning how to do the wrong thing ;-)

David Dorward

David Dorward

Rob said:
Are you talking frames or iframes? There's a difference.

In that iframes have slightly weaker browser support.
In general, frames are bad idea as others have pointed out.
iframes are more accepted.

Not really.

Toby Inkster

Rob said:
In general, frames are bad idea as others have pointed out.
iframes are more accepted.

http://www.google.com/search?q=iframe

egads no. IFRAME suffers from nearly all of the usability problems that
frames do:

* "orphan" pages[1];
* limitations when bookmarking pages;
* problems printing complete pages;
* multiple scroll bar confusion; and
* poor support in older browsers[2].

Many of these problems have solutions, but why bother with hacks and
workarounds when you can avoid the problem altogether.

____
1. If "http://example.org/index.html" opens an IFRAME containing
"http://example.org/welcome_note.html", then anybody directly visiting
"http://example.org/welcome_note.html" will see an "orphan" page, probably
without any navigation or site logos, branding, etc.

2. Indeed IFRAME has worse support than FRAME.