    sites done this way now. Can anyone tell be exactly how you do it? I mean
    how do you get all the pages to link in to each other?

    Thanks for any help recieved.

    Helen, Jan 22, 2006

  2. Helen

    Els Guest

    Helen wrote:

    > I'm looking at the frames way of doing a website as I've noticed a lot of
    > sites done this way now. Can anyone tell be exactly how you do it? I mean
    > how do you get all the pages to link in to each other?

    The fact that you see a lot of sites in frames, doesn't mean this is
    the most modern way. On the contrary, frames are out. Frames have
    various disadvantages (google for 'frames are evil'), and it's best
    not to start learning how to do the wrong thing ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jan 22, 2006

  3. Helen wrote:

    > I'm looking at the frames way of doing a website as I've noticed a lot of
    > sites done this way now.

    You have? It is very rarely that I come across a site that uses frames. The
    technology has *way* too many problems.

    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

    > Can anyone tell be exactly how you do it? I mean
    > how do you get all the pages to link in to each other?

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jan 22, 2006
  4. Helen

    Rob McAninch Guest

    "Helen" <> wrote in
    <news:43d3c957$> :

    > I'm looking at the frames way of doing a website as I've
    > noticed a lot of sites done this way now. Can anyone tell be
    > exactly how you do it?

    Are you talking frames or iframes? There's a difference.

    In general, frames are bad idea as others have pointed out.
    iframes are more accepted.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=iframe

    --
    Rob McAninch
    http://rock13.com

    Rob McAninch, Jan 23, 2006
  5. Rob McAninch wrote:

    > Are you talking frames or iframes? There's a difference.

    In that iframes have slightly weaker browser support.

    > In general, frames are bad idea as others have pointed out.
    > iframes are more accepted.

    Not really.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jan 23, 2006
  6. Helen

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Rob McAninch wrote:

    > In general, frames are bad idea as others have pointed out.
    > iframes are more accepted.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=iframe

    egads no. IFRAME suffers from nearly all of the usability problems that
    frames do:

    * "orphan" pages[1];
    * limitations when bookmarking pages;
    * problems printing complete pages;
    * multiple scroll bar confusion; and
    * poor support in older browsers[2].

    Many of these problems have solutions, but why bother with hacks and
    workarounds when you can avoid the problem altogether.

    ____
    1. If "http://example.org/index.html" opens an IFRAME containing
    "http://example.org/welcome_note.html", then anybody directly visiting
    "http://example.org/welcome_note.html" will see an "orphan" page, probably
    without any navigation or site logos, branding, etc.

    2. Indeed IFRAME has worse support than FRAME.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 23, 2006