First website practice project advisement

Joined
Jul 5, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
TLDR: making first web site/app project please advise on tech stack and planning 😊

Hey I have a BCS but am just getting into web site/app dev, am working though a boot camp course and want to build a practice project. I have an idea, I know the scope is way too huge but it seems like a lot of fun and my plan is to start super basic and add to it incrementally.

Its pretty much an online Tamagotchi or neopets thing. You have little creature(s) you log in and take care of and they can do stuff in a shared world. Not sure what all exactly, basic interaction with world and each other for now.

My current thinking is to build it first as a simple website you can log into, see and manage all your creatures. Later the idea would be to shift to a phone app with creature management and persistent world that you do everything from and the site would act more as a data server for the app. I’ll call these phase I and phase II.

The stack I'm thinking of for phase I is the same one from my web boot camp course: JavaScript - nodeJS + express for server, mongoDB + mongoose for database. HTML and CSS + maybe bootstrap for front end website, or maybe react, haven’t gotten to it in course yet. For phase II I was thinking of using unity if I really wanted to go for an interactive world. Or perhaps flutter if I just want I/O with no physical world.

So I’m looking for any advise or insights on building phase I right now, anything I’ve overlooked or should consider. I still don’t get quite how all the parts tie together. I’d also like to build in a way that phase II could be added on if I decided to continue the project. Sorry if I’ve missed things or poorly explained.

Thanks for any help!

Joined
Jul 7, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
It's up to what you want the stack to be

But i have a few suggesions

If you want to make it as a website then i recomand going with the first stack of javascript with nodejs and css html

If you want to make it as a pure game then i say go with unity because it supports both web and mobile as well

If you have some other questions you can send a reply i will try my best to answer them

Joined
Nov 24, 2022
Messages
80
Reaction score
7
Serious people starts from C, after getting familiar with this technology they have fun and feel good also. (knowledge of php You may need for logging system)

Joined
Jul 5, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Hey thanks for the input, but I've had to reign my ambitions in a bit. I've been applying for junior software engineer positions since grad and not much response even though my grades were excellent. I feel like to be competitive I need a personal website that showcases all my projects/work and itself is a show piece. So that's what I'm going to build first.

I really like the original concept though and hopefully I can get back to it at some point but right now I need to be practical unfortunately ><.