    the dashes and em-dashed are converted to question marks?
    There must be a configuration which prevents this?

    Thanks in advance.

    lostinspace, Jan 18, 2004

  2. "lostinspace" <> wrote in message
    news:KvnOb.31597$P%...
    > Might anybody have a clue why, in 1st page when copying and pasting from
    > NotePad to a 1st Page in progress,

    1st page?

    > the dashes and em-dashed are converted to question marks?
    > There must be a configuration which prevents this?

    The dashes in the text you're copying are problably from a part of the
    font-set, which is not supported by the place you're copying it too.

    Try converting your text to MSDOS ASCII, before working with it.

    Woolly Mittens, Jan 18, 2004

  3. lostinspace

    lostinspace Guest

    > > Might anybody have a clue why, in 1st page when copying and pasting from
    > > NotePad to a 1st Page in progress,

    > 1st page?
    >
    > > the dashes and em-dashed are converted to question marks?
    > > There must be a configuration which prevents this?

    > The dashes in the text you're copying are problably from a part of the
    > font-set, which is not supported by the place you're copying it too.
    >
    > Try converting your text to MSDOS ASCII, before working with it.

    Thanks for your help.

    1st Page 2000
    http://www.evrsoft.com/

    However, if you don't use 1st Page, than your not going to be able to
    assist.
    For four years, I was using the frowned-upon FP and never had this problem
    when cutting and pasting from NotePad and into the FP html pages.
    Apprx. six weeks ago, I decided to try an alternative software to use as my
    html editor (Not sure how long I've had 1st Page and wasn't using it.)

    a simple "dash" in NotePad requires no font settings that I'm aware of ?
    EX; tongue-in-cheek would be replaced (upon pasting) as; tongue?in?cheek ,
    requiring me to go back editing and spell checking text of which I've
    previously done so.

    This little glitch a real PITA as the text I work with contains many uses
    of dashes and em-dashes repeatedly.
    I'm looking for a solution in an attempt to stay committed away from FP,
    however the FP has no real criteria as I may use that as a simple text
    editor and still retain the copy and pasting with no transition loss or even
    added enhancements.

    BTW, I've made an inquiry in the 1st Page forum, without a successful reply.
    Searched their archives without success. To add misery, 1st page comes
    without any significant help files.

    lostinspace, Jan 18, 2004
  4. lostinspace

    PeterMcC Guest

    lostinspace <> wrote in
    <kCDOb.31873$P%>

    I wasn't going to be picky about the dashes...

    > I'm looking for a solution in an attempt to stay committed away from
    > FP, however the FP has no real criteria as I may use that as a simple
    > text editor and still retain the copy and pasting with no transition
    > loss or even added enhancements.
    >
    > This little glitch a real PITA as the text I work with contains many
    > uses of dashes and em-dashes repeatedly.

    .... but, as you've specifically raised ems and ens: the horizontal lines in
    "tongue-in-cheek" aren't dashes, they're hyphens. Are you putting in hyphens
    or something else for the ems, such as — or &mdash; ?

    I can't seem to replicate the problem although, since it's a while since I
    installed 1st page and haven't used it recently, I may have changed a
    default that meant the problem didn't appear. Are you simply copying from
    Notepad and then pasting into the "Edit F11" view?

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jan 19, 2004