3.0 FW includes 2.0?

darrel

Maybe a dumb question, but we're trying to set up a MOSS demo server. We
haven't gotten to installing MOSS yet, but one of the prerequisites in
ASP.net framework 3.0. the server has 1.1, and 3.0 installed fine. Do we
still need 2.0 on there or does 3.0 include 2.0 already? My understanding is
that 3.0 is just a bunch of add-ons for 2.0.

-Darrel

Juan T. Llibre

re:
My understanding is that 3.0 is just a bunch of add-ons for 2.0.

That is correct.

You must install 3.0 on top of 2.0. You can't install 3.0 by itself.

"3.0" has got to be one of the greatest misnomers in history.

darrel

You must install 3.0 on top of 2.0. You can't install 3.0 by itself.

Well, apparently you can. Just that it's not going to work. ;o)

Thanks everyone!
"3.0" has got to be one of the greatest misnomers in history.

I'm pretty sure there's a MS Naming Department that consists of a dozen 20
year old interns that get drunk and spin a big random naming wheel each week
and that's how MS comes up with all their product terminology.

-Darrel

darrel

If I remember correctly, if IIS is installed before you setup framework
3.0
when you install MOSS it will enable 2.0 for you.

So, MOSS will install 2.0? Not a big deal to install it ourselve, but just
curious why MOSS can install 2.0 but not 3.0 as well.

-Darrel

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Well, apparently you can. Just that it's not going to work. ;o)

<chuckle>

You *know* that's what I meant, didn't you ?

Here's an amended statement :

You must install 3.0 on top of 2.0. You can't install 3.0 by itself...if you expect it to work.

:)

darrel

Now, both of you John's are MVPs but it sounds like you are contradicting
each other? ;o)

-Darrel

John Timney \(MVP\)

Well if Juan says its not included then he's probably correct.

You should find that if you install 3, and then install MOSS that 2 gets
enabled, perhaps MOSS installs it and then enables it if 3 exists. I've
never installed 2 seperately on a clean build MOSS install!

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

Juan T. Llibre

Well, considering that the redistributable for .Net 3.0 is only 2.8MB,
and that the redistributable for .Net 2.0 is 22.4MB, I'd find it hard to
believe that 2.0 would be included with 3.0.

;-)

Your question was :
Do we still need 2.0 on there or does 3.0 include 2.0 already?

The answer is : yes, you need 2.0 installed. 3.0 does *not* include 2.0.

The MOSS setup, otoh, installs everything it needs, .net 2.0 and .net 3.0 included.

Michael D. Ober

The 2.8Mb file size assumes you already have .NET 2.0 installed and is the
update from 2.0 only. The full install of .NET 3.0 is almost 30Mb.

Mike Ober.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
The 2.8Mb file size assumes you already have .NET 2.0 installed

That's not true.
It's a *redistributable*...and the only version available for download, AFAIK.

Btw, can you provide a download link for the full install ?

The .NET Framework 3.0 is installed by default on Vista.
On Longhorn, you can install the .NET Framework as a feature using Roles Management tools.

On XP and Windows Server 2003, installing .NET Framework 3.0 also adds any
..NET Framework 2.0 components that are not already installed, but they will
have to be downloaded by the setup program.

If .NET Framework 2.0 is already installed, the .NET Framework 3.0 installer adds only
the files for Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Workflow Foundation (WF),
Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and Windows CardSpace.

The main point is that you can't make a blanket statement like "2.0 is included in 3.0".
It's not, although if setup detects 2.0 isn't installed, it will download 2.0, if needed.

Some OS's install the 2.0 *and* 3.0 files from their setup files.
Other OS's need to download additional components when a 3.0 installation is attempted.

I hope this makes this clearer.