3-Tier Application

Guest

Hi
I understood the 3-tier application but i have some questions
Step- UI->Business Process Layer
1.Howt to Pass the data from UI to middle layer
a. object.property=textbox.value
b. create middle tier as sqlobjectsource/Data Table
3. array/test/xml file

2. From Middle Layer to Data Layer
a. how to pass data
b. how to process data (add/edit/deete)
i. Stored Procedure
ii Ado.net
which is the best way

sloan

First, this is good reading:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/boagag.asp

Second:
Here's a link I've recently been involved with:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ead/thread/4f56ea8da21fdfff/a017435ab628da33?

Third:
You can get some downloadable examples at my blog:
http://sholliday.spaces.msn.com/PersonalSpace.aspx
6/5/2006 (2.0)
5/24/2006 (1.1)
(here is example of my tier system)

I usually create an object .. like EmployeeArg object... which holds the
data I need to add or update an employee.

EmployeeArg.SSN
EmployeeArg.LastName
EmployeeArg.FirstName
EmployeeArg.DeptID

I create this object in the presentation, set its properties (from
textboxes, ddl's , etc)
and pass it as the input paramenter to a BizLayer object.

If you look at the boagag.asp.. article above:
the last few paragraphs talk about where to put these objects. (The article
suggests putting them in an assembly outside of the 3 tiers)

Alan Silver

sloan said:
Second:
Here's a link I've recently been involved with:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/
browse_thread/thread/4f56ea8da21fdfff/a017435ab628da33?

And jolly helpful you were too ;-)

Quick update (you didn't reply to may last post there): I've got a bit
more a grip of the point of these layers now, mainly due to those data
access tutorials I mentioned in my first post. Some of the examples they
used highlighted the benefit of splitting the layers.

Now all I need to do is see what performance hit (if any) is caused by
separating everything into layers rather than having it all in the one.

Ta ra